Options

10-step beginner's raw tutorial

13»

Comments

• Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    Well regardless, White balance, Tint, Temperature and exposure is still there...which settings should we start exploring next?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 10, 2009
    The workflow for ACR 5.5 requires a book level discussion to be thorough. After the basics of white balance, exposure, black point, fill light etc. I look at a few different camera profiles available with the later versions of ACR. I then correct the luminosity curve, chromatic aberration, noise reduction, selective color adjustments, and any other defects I see in the RAW file

The bible is Real World Camera RAW with Adobe PS CS4 by Bruce Fraser and Jeffe Schewe. Very thorough and clear and helpful to gain a real understanding of Raw Processing.

Kelby talks about Raw Processing in most of his recent books about CS4.

If you understand the RAW processor steps in Lightroom2, they are essentially the same.

Luminous-Landscape Guide to Raw Processing - New in CS4 - a video available on the Luminous landscape is quite helpful.

One of the reasons I have not tried to update Andy's post is that a thorough description of the use of ACR would literally require many chapters of work to do justice to the task. Fraser and Schewe have already done a stellar job. Thats where I would start.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Thanks, i completely understand. Defidently a huge amount of options and overwhelming.

I guess after these 10 basics, i may need to pick up a book...
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:
    Well regardless, White balance, Tint, Temperature and exposure is still there...which settings should we start exploring next?

Generally speaking, top down, left to right. The controls are placed in a recommended order although since we’re dealing with metadata (parametric editing), the order is always applied in an optimal processing order in the ACR engine. That said, if you try working top down, left to right (panes in ACR), you’ll generally get to your desired goal faster.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Generally speaking, top down, left to right. The controls are placed in a recommended order although since we’re dealing with metadata (parametric editing), the order is always applied in an optimal processing order in the ACR engine. That said, if you try working top down, left to right (panes in ACR), you’ll generally get to your desired goal faster.

Andrew, would you include the choice of camera profile in your top down, left to right sequence, as last, or would you do it very early in your editing sequence in ACR? Color Profile is the lower most choice in the right panel, isn't it?

I usually choose the camera profile very early - along with color temp and Exposure. They all seem to interact with each other a bit. I usually start with Color Temp if the exposure was accurate. But if the exposure was significantly off, I usually get that closer and then visit Color Temp. I would then select the camera profile I choose to use, and revisit Color Temp and Exposure before moving on to Black point, Clarity, Curves, Chromatic aberration correction. Is this the right sequence, or is there a better way to do it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    You really do want the profile selected from the get go (and there are discussions the profile selection needs to be more upfront). I have this set globally as a default profile per camera serial which I setup in Lightroom.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/