Options

Keyword cloud set to "Use Current Location" actually uses entire site...

TheoGeekTheoGeek Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
edited September 19, 2016 in Bug Reporting
Found this interesting little bug. I have a bunch of galleries that contain photos of cross country meets, one gallery per meet. I would like users to be able to filter these galleries based on their keywords, specifically on "Varsity", "JV", "9/10". I added a keyword cloud to "all galleries" and set it to "use current location." It works great, I clock on "Varsity" and I am presented with only the photos from that gallery that contain the keyword "Varsity".

Exactly like I'd expect.

But then it offers keywords from every gallery on my site as "similar" or whatever, and when I click on even one that is contained within the gallery I am browsing, like to add another keyword, "boys" for example, I am presented with every photo from all the galleries on my site that contain "Varsity" and "boys", which is NOT what I'd expect.

This seems counter intuitive and sort of defeats the purpose of a "current location" limiter in the settings of the keyword cloud.

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited September 16, 2016
    Hi TheoGeek - this definitely isn't how it should work and is a known issue. The Current Location should be maintained when the combined/suggested keywords are shown. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA on when we will be able to fix this.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    TheoGeekTheoGeek Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2016
    Good to know it's a known issue (I'm not crazy!) Hopefully it will be fixed soon, cuz that will be a very handy feature when it works.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    Hi TheoGeek - this definitely isn't how it should work and is a known issue. The Current Location should be maintained when the combined/suggested keywords are shown. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA on when we will be able to fix this.

I've already reported and put in a feature request for a related issue but I'll mention it here too. The keyword page gives no indication of what that "current location" is or even that the keyword results are limited at all.

This is confusing to visitors and site owners. It's easy to end up in keyword results and not realize you're only seeing a small subset of keyword results. I even have visitors enter my site from search engines into keyword results from random "current locations" that happened to get indexed by Google. Those visitors have no way to know there may be more pictures than are showing.

Dave