Options

A Wild Ride

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 7, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Believe it or not, this is actually a 1951 car. It was built as a design exercise by GM's studios under the direction of the head guy, Harley J. Earl. It was designated as a Buick Le Sabre. It employed extensive use of aluminum and cast magnesium parts. Mr. Earl drove this car for several years as his daily driver. Amazing.

amelia%202010%2011%20013-X3.jpg

amelia%202010%2011%20012-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    The LeaderThe Leader Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2016
    That's just an amazing car! I still find it curious how the Americans built two door cars that are so long.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2016
    The Leader wrote: »
    That's just an amazing car! I still find it curious how the Americans built two door cars that are so long.

The early '50s saw America's pent-up demand for big, luxurious items ( cars included ) come on strong. The war was over and folks wanted to cash in on the new prosperity. Big, ostentatious cars were a way to show that you were successful. American car makers were only too happy to separate those buyers from their money.

This Buick Le Sabre has several design features that drifted down to production cars in the later '50s: such as the " cove " treatments on the sides that showed up on Corvettes from 1956 through 1962. The exaggerated tail fin mania influenced all domestic manufacturers but really defined Cadillacs of that period.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2016
    Wow! Who knew GM had style!!
    Lovely capture Tom!
  • Options
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! Who knew GM had style!!
    Lovely capture Tom!

Thanks, Taz. Many consider the mid '50s to the early '70s to be the bright spot in Detroit styling. I'm one of those folks. I was fortunate to own a '55 Chevy, a '57 Chevy, a '61 " bubble top " Impala, a '64 GTO, and a '67 Corvette big block. The same timeframe for looks was also the period when performance considerations reigned supreme. Damn, those were great times for car freaks.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    Yup.... GM ruled, even Mercedes put fins on their cars

Thanks Tom for bringing back some good memories...

(Some history for Taz) I was a Ford guy (there was a competition between Ford and Chevy owners) - '50 Ford convertible, '50 Mercury with a '55 Oldsmobile engine - then I drifted and got a '53 Studebaker and tried to get the Olds engine in it... never got it going.. then went to foreign sports cars

I was dating a gal whose brother in law had an auto junkyard... An absolute candystore for a mechanically inclined teen.

She nailed me - that was 57 years ago... Memories...

BTW... GM was a innovative auto maker then

They developed the automatic transmission (for Cadillac late '30s) that Mercedes used in early models and the overhead valve system
    Rags
  • Options
    torags wrote: »
    Yup.... GM ruled, even Mercedes put fins on their cars

Thanks Tom for bringing back some good memories...

(Some history for Taz) I was a Ford guy (there was a competition between Ford and Chevy owners) - '50 Ford convertible, '50 Mercury with a '55 Oldsmobile engine - then I drifted and got a '53 Studebaker and tried to get the Olds engine in it... never got it going.. then went to foreign sports cars

I was dating a gal whose brother in law had an auto junkyard... An absolute candystore for a mechanically inclined teen.

She nailed me - that was 57 years ago... Memories...

BTW... GM was a innovative auto maker then

They developed the automatic transmission (for Cadillac late '30s) that Mercedes used in early models and the overhead valve system

Thanks for the visit, Rags. I always thought the '50, '51 Mercurys were really cool. After seeing the customized one James Dean had in the movie " Rebel Without A Cause ", I really wanted one. I came close to buying a beautifully customized one a couple of years ago. The seller was trying to recoup all the bucks he had sunk into the thing but that's rarely how that game works out. We never could agree on a price. Sad....it's one of the best looking ones I ever seen.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,918 moderator
    You find the most amazing cars, Tom. Besides the Vette side and Cadillac fins, the front end of this one looks like a cross of a Studebaker and an Edsel, though the latter came much later. It's kind of interesting that they weren't all suing each other back then, but the industry was much stronger.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    You find the most amazing cars, Tom. Besides the Vette side and Cadillac fins, the front end of this one looks like a cross of a Studebaker and an Edsel, though the latter came much later. It's kind of interesting that they weren't all suing each other back then, but the industry was much stronger.

When you're around this kind of stuff as much as I am, finding interesting subjects is fairly easy. The tough part comes in trying to get clear shots. Seeing the crowds, you can understand why you have to have tremendous patience while waiting for an unobstructed opportunity.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2016
    Beautiful car. Would of looked awesome in red :D