Options

Maui Night Sky

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited October 2, 2016 in Landscapes
There are many shots of the Milky Way, as seen from Maui. Most of them are either from atop Haleakala (10k ft sleeping volcano), OR some beach with pretty rocks and palms. For this shot, I was on a mission to find a lesser-photographed area of the island.

You're viewing the galaxy from McGregor Point, on the southern shore of Maui, at the base of the West Maui Mountains.

FWIW, this is the first astral shot from a new-to-me and Canon refurbished (because it broke the day I bought it) 7D mk II + Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

IMG_2391-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2016
    Shot is fab JBR, but it would benefit the image if you can fix the wide angle distortion for the tower.
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Shot is fab JBR, but it would benefit the image if you can fix the wide angle distortion for the tower.
    Cheers m8!

Mahalo, Taz! I agree completely, the lighthouse distortion is too much for print. Unfortunately, stretching the top pulls the stars too much, so I intend to re-shoot it, from about 100 or so ft. back. This way, the lighthouse will be further from the edge of the frame, with much less distortion. I'll post up when I do it again soon.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2016
    JBR, you can go to LR Transform tab and click on vertical and go in positive direction....it will make Lighthouse both straighter and taller....if edges get clipped in the image they can be either cropped out or content aware filled in PS. Also in PS you can do localized transform on Lighthouse. The 11mm will always give this kind of distortion.....distance will only make lighthouse smaller, and then I will bitch about not having any significant foreground element......

Great image, worth figuring out how to straighten it out, a tool that will continue to come in handy with your "Architectural" work!
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    JBR, you can go to LR Transform tab and click on vertical and go in positive direction....it will make Lighthouse both straighter and taller....if edges get clipped in the image they can be either cropped out or content aware filled in PS. Also in PS you can do localized transform on Lighthouse. The 11mm will always give this kind of distortion.....distance will only make lighthouse smaller, and then I will bitch about not having any significant foreground element......

Great image, worth figuring out how to straighten it out, a tool that will continue to come in handy with your "Architectural" work!
    Cheers m8!

Yup yup, very familiar with the lens distortion function in LR, and use it often with real estate shots. I rarely use PS, so I'll have to check out the content aware thing sometime.

I went ahead and gave it correction to post up here, but I still don't love it, but that's probably because I know it used to be a wider image. I do like that the lighthouse is closer to the bottom of the frame now, making the eye look more toward the main subject (galaxy). I'll still return to re-shoot (probably tonight or tomorrow night), see if I can get a bit wider and cleaner shot. Plus, I wanna try some HDR work at night for a less noisy image.

IMG_2394-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2016
    Here's an HDR shot from the same night.

IMG_2400-HDR-3-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2016
    I like reworked image! Super wide is easy to fall in love with but here there is less bush on right and tilted tower is not distracting and many elements are closer so love it!
    The second image is cool especially that little cloud hanging out there and foreground is nice as well as the stars!