Options

SmugMug Site Disappointment

ZoobieZoobie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited October 1, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I'm not a professional, however, I do shoot a lot of photos and my Smugmug site is used primarily for sharing galleries.

Am I the only one that is frustrated with the changes? I know it's been a while since they revamped the site, but every time I go to my site I am always so frustrated with the new ways.

It took me forever and the help of someone from Smugmug just to show me how to properly share a gallery without sharing my entire site.

And finding the settings every time I make a new gallery feels like starting all over again.

And finding your stats, well why does that have to be so involved too.....

Maybe it's just me.....but it sure seems like a lot more work, a lot more confusion than the old way.....

Just venting.........................thanks for listening........

Oh, and I've tried the tutorial pages, but I don't have time or the desire to try and relearn the in's and out's..........

Longing for the good ol days..................

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2016
    Zoobie wrote: »
    ... but every time I go to my site I am always so frustrated with the new ways.

It took me forever and the help of someone from Smugmug just to show me how to properly share a gallery without sharing my entire site.

Oh, and I've tried the tutorial pages, but I don't have time or the desire to try and relearn the in's and out's

I think you found the source of your frustration. thumb.gif

Yes things are different but I would never want to go back to OLD Smug.
    I have a lot more control over my site now - without knowing any code - than I ever did before.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2016
    It's always hard and time consuming to learn new things, new ways. Especially after you get comfortable with doing things some other way for a long time. I can totally understand you. But I think the title of your post is misleading: the disappointment has nothing to do with Smugmug Site. The disappointment is within your resistance to change. And this is perfectly human. For instance I am transitioning into the mobile apps development after 15 years of designing software for Windows systems. Trust me - the change is not easy and I am disappointed with myself for being so slow and not adept in this transition sometimes.

On a positive side, the new Smugmug is inline with modern and more attractive design than the old one. It would have taken me much more time and effort to have the sites I have now with the old system.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited October 1, 2016
    For me the new SmugMug brought welcome change.

Don't get me wrong - I was happy with my old site, but I'm even happier with the site I was able to create quickly on new SmugMug. My old site used a lot of code; my new site (happily) uses very little.

Keep in mind that companies that resist change in the internet world probably won't be around for very long. The changes in new SmugMug were needed.

It's probably a matter of adaptation for you. Take some time to learn about the current capabilities within the product. Choose those you want to use, and move forward.

--- Denise