Options

Lightbox images not linking correctly in FB

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited October 7, 2016 in Bug Reporting
If a SmugMug lightbox image is linked in a Facebook post, a thumbnail image is no longer displayed. From chatter on FB's developer channels, it seems this is caused by FB's URL Scraper not being able to find the image, somehow.

Has SmugMug changed something in the past few days, or is this problem on Facebook's side?

Comments

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2016
    If you delete the trailing backslash from the links when placing them on Facebook and hit enter I believe it should show the images.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 4, 2016
    We specify the proper "open graph" tags for facebook to pull the correct photo. I've tried a number of combinations of my Lightbox photos and Facebook always pulls the right photo. Is it working for you now or still broken? If broken, would you mind showing me an example?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2016
    Eureka! Thanks, Teach, and for your interest Aaron.

Removing the "/A" from the URL link inserted in Facebook posts worked a treat. The image being linked appears to still behave as though the "/A" was there, so all's well.

Out of interest, how did you discover this workaround Teach? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2016
    I can't take credit for finding the fix. One of the other Support Heroes stumbled upon the workaround when reporting the issue as something being broken. Once he found the fix we realized that was all that was needed.
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2016
    Thanks anyway! thumb.gif