Options

Make Gallery Title Clickable in Uploader

SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
edited October 24, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
It's been several years since I've been regularly using SM, and now that I am back to using it daily, it's like learning everything all over again, but there's a lot of stuff I like on the 'new SM'. :thumb

That being said, I've found one thing I badly miss. On the old SM uploader, the gallery title on the uploader was clickable and would take you to that gallery. This was quite handy when you wanted to quickly get to that gallery.

This is needed more than ever since you can upload to a gallery made on the fly from anywhere within your site. Because once you've created that gallery, you currently have to navigate to it like any other gallery. A clickable gallery name on the uploader would allow you to 'X' out of the uploader to get back to where you were, or click on the gallery name to be taken directly to the gallery.

Thoughts?
Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited October 19, 2016
    If you're already in the gallery, clicking the "X" would take you back to it. When browsing anywhere on your site, the "Upload > New Gallery" or "Uploading > Existing Gallery" always take you to the gallery when you click the "X". The only time you're not taken to the gallery is when you're in the Organizer, so I imagine you're asking for the link so it can take you to the gallery, without having to click the "X" and then click "Done" to exit the Organizer?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    When browsing anywhere on your site, the "Upload > New Gallery"...always take you to the gallery when you click the "X".
    I have not found that to be the case. I just tried it now even to check. Upload to new gallery, X'd it, and it was back at the gallery that I was at when I created the gallery, not the newly created gallery. If the gallery name was a link to the gallery, one would have a choice to remain where they originally where when they created the gallery or to go to the newly created gallery.

The only reason I have to get to the gallery before uploading to it is that I have to manually set the square thumbnail setting to 'off' as it will not save this way as a quicksetting (everything else does). Tried setting the quicksetting twice.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2016
    I've tested this and had our QA team as well, Upload > New Gallery and Upload > Existing Gallery both will take you to the gallery you're uploading to after you click the "X". Can you describe to me the scenario in which you see it behaving differently?

Either way, it's a good request and something we'll put into our backlog. Thanks for the request!
    dGrin Afficionado
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2016
    I've tested this and had our QA team as well, Upload > New Gallery and Upload > Existing Gallery both will take you to the gallery you're uploading to after you click the "X". Can you describe to me the scenario in which you see it behaving differently?
    Same exact scenario for new gallery. I haven't tried existing gallery since I typically make a new gallery for each upload batch. I'll try that when I get a chance.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2016
    I just tried to use an existing gallery, but found another issue--I have a folder underneath a category that has the gallery I want to upload to, and it's not in the list of galleries. I'll test with a gallery I can get to, but I definitely didn't expect this behavior.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2016
    Just tried it with an existing gallery--same behavior. Clicking X brings you back to where you initially chose to upload, not the uploaded gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2016
    Can you let me know which browser you're using? Can you outline the steps that you're taking to do this? Are you letting the upload complete or cancelling before it finishes?
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2016
    I create the gallery and X out of it without starting an upload. Even if I have started/completed/cancelled an upload, the behavior is the same. It returns me to where I was as opposed to the new gallery.

I've tested on the following browsers:
    Portable Firefox 38.0.05
    WinPenPack Chromium 36.0.1963.0 (266561)
    Portable Chrome 26.0.1410.64
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2016
    If you let the upload complete, then clicking the "X" will return you to the gallery you're uploading to.
    If you cancel the upload before it completes (or don't upload anything) and click the "X", it will NOT return you to the gallery you're uploading to.

We'll add these 2 items to our backlog and get to them when we can. Thanks for the request and pointing this out!
    dGrin Afficionado
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2016
    If you let the upload complete, then clicking the "X" will return you to the gallery you're uploading to.
    If you cancel the upload before it completes (or don't upload anything) and click the "X", it will NOT return you to the gallery you're uploading to.

We'll add these 2 items to our backlog and get to them when we can. Thanks for the request and pointing this out!
    I'll test this and see what happens, but I somehow recalling even after an upload it takes me to the original place I started from. I'm typically uploading from the gallery I want, so I'll have to double-check the behavior. I'll update you with my findings.

Thank you for being the same SM I remember. iloveyou.gif It's great to have little things like this noticed and put on the list, even if it takes some time to implement (which is completely understandable). thumb.gif