A day of firsts

2»

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 15, 2006
    jwear wrote:
    who do you think put that sharp-shinned eating a bird by your car :D the fox is a great moment I have only see one and no picture :cry nice setthumb.gifclap.gif

Thanks Jeff :D

and how much do you charge to flush game?....Laughing.gif Yeah, I really enjoyed that little fox. Beautiful little creature and didn't mind me following him around either :):

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Wonderful thumb.gif

I guess I know where we're going on my next trip out, eh lol3.gif

Thanks Andy :D

Yep, found another place we can go get birds and wildlife. We have to hit it in the mornings though, as the Sun get's blocked by the Western hills in the late afternoon. Maybe we could get that always working Ian fella to come out to play with us too rolleyes1.gif

I wanted to get there around 8am Friday, but had a few calls to make and didn't get there until around 9:30 rolleyes1.gif Early morning light at this place should be schweet thumb.gif

Or, we could just say fahget about da boids and head on over to Phil's....Laughing.gif :eat

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    david_h wrote:
    Very nice Steve. I especialy like the fox profile shot.

Thanks David :D

I was thrilled that this guy tolerated me. I had only seen one other kit fox in my life and that was while driving down the freeway. Couldn't look for long...lol Glad I have some memories on my hard drive :):

Thanks for commenting,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Steve,

Nice work with your new glass. Don't you love shooting with a prime. The fox profile ad the merlin BIFs are wall hangers. clap.gif

Thanks Harry :D

The success you've had with your primes is one of the reasons I went this direction. Not that I'm all of a sudden going to wind up with works of art just because I'm using a prime. But, man oh man, you just can't beat their sharpness and AF speed. Not to mention that they aren't too shabby when it comes to color and contrast either iloveyou.gif

Thanks for taking the time to comment,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great series Steve, you had quite a variation to choose from. The Merlin and the harriers were great!

Thanks PF :D

I had a ball and was just happy to come home with some keepers thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Shay :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Steve i do this a lot by mistake when im shooting small birds & have never seen it make any difference to a photo...what are you noticing ?

Gus,
    I notice the same issues Steve (Rohirrim) brought up. Substantially slower focusing and more hunting with a TC attached if you a shooting a distant subject using the 3.5m setting. ne_nau.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    '

Steve, love the fox profile! Great series.

Doesn't that switch give the lens/camera an idea of where to hunt for focus, making it a bit faster if you have it set correctly?

Thanks David :D

Yes, that switch position makes quite a bit of difference. Especially when using a TC on the lens. As Gus mentions, AF will work, no matter what the setting, eventually.....lol But it's is much faster if the switch is set correctly to begin with.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Great set and great story Steve.

You have some real keepers there. Top drawer stuff.
    edited January 15, 2006
    Nice work Steve, especially the fox. thumb.gif

I use the switch on my 400 all the time for moving objects and find it acquires focus faster if set on the distance ranges your subject is in.

Nice to see some wildlife work from you again Steve!

-j

Thanks Jeff :D

Yep, I noticed faster AF when the switch was properly set also. Glad to be back shooting and posting wildlife too :): Thanks for the kind words.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    davev wrote:
    All great shots.
    Damn, I got to get me one of those 400's.

Thanks Dave :D

Go for this lens if you can. I lusted after this guy for almost a year. Finally I pulled the trigger and I have to say that it is everything I read/heard it was iloveyou.gif As much as I enjoy using my Bigma, it will probably be posted in the Flea Market within a few days :cry Not surprising that a high quality prime beats out a 10X zoom. But I sure am going to miss the focal range the Bigma gave me. Oh well. We can't all be lens rich like Andy lol3.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 15, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Maybe i just dont notice its focus speed its just that fast ..sort of like is the car doing 80mph or 90mph ne_nau.gif

Gus,
    I haven't played around with the bare lens enough to understand whether the AF issue is worsened by using the TC. You may be right and without the TC attached, the position of the switch may not matter much. It sure seems to with a TC attached though headscratch.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    If that's what you have at Coyote Hill Park, then you should hang out there everyday. Beautiful pictures of the fox.
    edited January 16, 2006
    dallas wrote:
    If that's what you have at Coyote Hill Park, then you should hang out there everyday. Beautiful pictures of the fox.

Thanks Dallas :D

Yeah, if I were a gentleman of leisure like Harry lol3.gif I would go there every morning. This place is right in the middle of the nation's 11th largest city/metro area. So traffic in the morning is a bear eek7.gif I left late and it still took me 45 minutes to go 15 miles...lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero