Oxbow

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited November 4, 2016 in Landscapes
On a grey, wet, day passing near the Oxbow Bend in Teton N.P.

C&C appreciated.

IMG_7664-2-L.jpg

Larger; https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/New-Images/i-gCFFz9B/0/X2/IMG_7664-2-X2.jpg

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited October 29, 2016
    You really caught the colors at a good time, didn't you?

I like this. The contrast between the foreground and the lines of trees moving up the hill in the middle of the photo is wonderful.

--- Denise
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2016
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2016
    You really caught the colors at a good time, didn't you?

I like this. The contrast between the foreground and the lines of trees moving up the hill in the middle of the photo is wonderful.

--- Denise

Thanks. The colors were at the peak. This was captured mid day and it was still a very busy area. I was passing through on our way to the Wind River area.

Phil
    boco wrote: »
    Heel mooi die Herfstkleuren.
    grt,boco.

boco, bedankt voor het bekijken en becommentariëren.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2016
    I love the cloudy, mysterious peak. And the rest of the shot. Personally, I find the saturation in the trees at the front a little high, but that's a nit.
    edited October 31, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I love the cloudy, mysterious peak. And the rest of the shot. Personally, I find the saturation in the trees at the front a little high, but that's a nit.

Thanks Don, appreciate the feedback. The saturation was probably bumped 5-7%. It was raining on and off which helps with the saturation and the color was at it's peak. I think the grey background helps pop the color also, it was actually very brilliant as the light stared to make it's way through the cloud cover.

Phil

• catcher33catcher33 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    i'm going there this weekend .... any suggestions where to go?
    edited November 1, 2016
    catcher33 wrote: »
    i'm going there this weekend .... any suggestions where to go?

I assume you mean the the National Park. If that is the case some of my favorite places are Schwabachers Landing, Oxbow Bend, Mormon Row and several pull-outs along U.S. highway 191.

If you're traveling U.S. 26 and have the time a good side trip is to the Whiskey Basin wildlife habitat 4 miles east of Dubois, at Trail Lake Rd. (FS Rd 411) This time of year, you should see some bighorn in the area. http://www.bighorn.org/tours.html

Good luck.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    Wonderful Phil! As good as one can hope for!!
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    The composition and colors are great. It's a beautiful shot, but the large area of blown out sky takes away from it a bit. I know that when traveling we take the light as we find it at the time we are passing by, so maybe it couldn't be addressed any better. I wonder if you could have exposed for that sky and then brought up the colorful shadows in post. Perhaps the high dynamic range of the scene could also be handled by a 3 shot hdr blend. Nonetheless, well done!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    Very nice, love it!... rich and dynamic... personally, I like the hi-key sky - it gives a neutral, contrasting background for the color POP!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    Very nice capture! I like the cloudy mountain and the trees on the rolling hill in the background. Congrats.
    edited November 4, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wonderful Phil! As good as one can hope for!!

Eldon Shea wrote: »
    The composition and colors are great. It's a beautiful shot, but the large area of blown out sky takes away from it a bit. I know that when traveling we take the light as we find it at the time we are passing by, so maybe it couldn't be addressed any better. I wonder if you could have exposed for that sky and then brought up the colorful shadows in post. Perhaps the high dynamic range of the scene could also be handled by a 3 shot hdr blend. Nonetheless, well done!

Elden, thanks for looking and commenting. I have learned to expose for the shadows and adjust for the highlights. I exposed for the trees, and using tools in Lightroom adjust the sky to remove the "blown out areas" The sky is brighter by comparison, but the final exposure is correct. I haven't had much success with hdr blending.
    Earache wrote: »
    Very nice, love it!... rich and dynamic... personally, I like the hi-key sky - it gives a neutral, contrasting background for the color POP!
    Juano wrote: »
    Very nice capture! I like the cloudy mountain and the trees on the rolling hill in the background. Congrats.

Eric, Taz and Cristóbal, thanks for viewing and commenting.