first macro attempt.

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited January 14, 2006 in Holy Macro
and i must say its soooooo much fun!:lust

:D

all of these were with my 28-105 fully extended then the 50mm hand held reversed on it. but any idea on how to get rid of all the vignetting?:dunno

some intricate chrome on my bass that holds the strings down.
extremeguitarmacro2.jpg

sound peg for my bass
extremesoundpegmacro2.jpg

bridge on my acoustic
acousticbridge2.jpg

and just for a scale reference.....
scale.jpg

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Think you got excellent results for a handheld reversed lens.Especially like #1- at first glance I thought that's not macro- looks like some pond plumbing :)- never would have guessed a guitar string.

You would have been taking those shots at approx 2:1 magnification- assuming the primary lens was at max zoom. Think you will get rid of the vignetting if you wind it back a bit. Plus the reversed lens should be wide open and focused on infinity.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Good Try Daniel
    DanielB wrote:
    and i must say its soooooo much fun!iloveyou.gif
    :D

all of these were with my 28-105 fully extended then the 50mm hand held reversed on it. but any idea on how to get rid of all the vignetting?ne_nau.gif
    some intricate chrome on my bass that holds the strings down.
    sound peg for my bass
    bridge on my acoustic
    and just for a scale reference.....
    thanksthumb.gif

Daniel

I struggled with this method and found it much easier to use the Kenko Extension Tubes......... Brian has been very successful at this lens reversing technique, I see he posted a response to you above mine.

Keep trying Daniel......your doing good thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Think you got excellent results for a handheld reversed lens.Especially like #1- at first glance I thought that's not macro- looks like some pond plumbing :)- never would have guessed a guitar string.

You would have been taking those shots at approx 2:1 magnification- assuming the primary lens was at max zoom. Think you will get rid of the vignetting if you wind it back a bit. Plus the reversed lens should be wide open and focused on infinity.
    Brian V.

thanks brianthumb.gif i was hoping you'd chime in.:D the 50mm was set on infinity and wide open at 1.8, and the 28-105 was set at 105, still not sure how all that nasty vignetting happendheadscratch.gif but i'll be taking this combo out into the backyard here before long for a field test:D

here was my *oh so amateur* set-up, i shut off all available light except the umbrella and my pop-up flash.:D

shot on my new Tempur-pedic bed cover. cause its the only thing i own thats white. enough for a backdroprolleyes1.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Nice bass and neat macros. Here's mine:

39211073-M.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006