Options

Not so badlands

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited November 3, 2016 in Landscapes
These were taken in and around Petrified Forest National Park. Criticism is welcome.

PFNP%2011-XL.jpg

PFNP%2012-XL.jpg

PFNP%2014%204563r-XL.jpg

PFNP%206-XL.jpg

PFNP%207-XL.jpg

PFNP%2010-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2016
    Great set! really like the close up of #3 and wonderful light of #4.

We're planning a month long stay in Sedona in march, then moving north to the Canyon, Page, Monument Valley, Colorado and Utah the following 2 months. I may have to work this location into the schedule. Thanks for sharing.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    I think these are very strong and stunning in their composition and color. #3 is very cool! It gives me a sense of being right there. And what a contrast with the first 5 compared to 6! It looks like two different places. Very nice!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2016
    Phil, Eia, thanks!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    Very nice work. thumb.gif

I was in a gallery in Jackson, Wyoming recently. They had a slab of a petrified tree for sale that was about 3 inches in depth and roughly the same shape and size of the larger sections you show in shot #1. I thought is was forbidden to traffic in such stuff....apparently there's a loophole to those restrictions.

BTW, that slab was priced at $275,000. Yep, that's not a misprint.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited November 1, 2016
    I love the first and second images. I agree with AnnaMaria - the two photos both give a sense of being there.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2016
    Tom, a lot of petrified wood is found on private land in this same area. A lot of it gets sold. I had a similar thought when I saw the shops that were selling it--we're losing an irreplaceable fossil heritage. But it's legal.

Denise, thanks. With this kind of photo, my goal is to convey what being there is like.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited November 1, 2016
    Beautiful light in #4. My favorite is the macro.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2016
    Very nice set. I really like the shots that set the scene. Compared to what it is today, it's amazing to think that the area was once a lush tropical forest. It's also mind boggling that Arizona was located near the equator in those days. Good work!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2016
    Nice set again Don. I like the light in all of them. 5 & 6 are my personal favs. We were just by there a couple three weeks ago.... wasn't in the plans to stop. I always love this place.
    best,
    -Len
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2016
    There is another petrified forest in Southern Utah, near the town of Escalante between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef national parks. There is a significant amount of petrified wood on private land in that vicinity also. The park is Escalante Petrified Forest State Park. It's a nice small park with a campground, a bit off the beaten track. I'll post some pics in a separate thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016
    Jerry, David, Bryan, Len, thank you all. Mostly the light was poor, but I did a lot of shooting in the brief periods when it wasn't. Bryan, I'd like to see your shots. I've been in the Escalante area but it's been a while.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    Very nice set. I like the detail in 3, 4 and 5. clap.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2016
    Nice light in many of them......
    I feel the foreground is bit overwhelming in some, and combined with low POV, they are almost obstructing view and blocking the vast expanse that "badland" conjures up....
    JMO.

Cheers Don!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2016
    Cristobal, thanks. Taz, as always, thanks for the candid critique. I had trouble getting foreground and background to coexist in all that open space. The obvious answer was to use a telephoto to compress the scene, and I did that with the first one. The necessity of staying on the path (for good reasons) limited my use of that option.