Options

embedding a pdf in my website

gfargogfargo Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited November 2, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
I have searched dgrin and pdf just doesn't register. I want to put a PDF in my website so users can access it with a link and download it. Anyone know how?

Thanks,
George

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,451 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2016
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    Hi - Mike is correct - here is an example of what i did for Smugger.
    http://www.cindijonesphotography.com/Business-Info

Click on either icon on the page and it will take you to a document on Cindi's google drive.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,451 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2016
    Just as a side-note, my SmugMug site is a sub-domain. My "main" domain is running WordPress. I can upload files, like PDF's to my main domain. Depending on your hosting company, you may be able to create a sub-domain and upload files there.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2016
    gfargo wrote: »
    I have searched dgrin and pdf just doesn't register. I want to put a PDF in my website so users can access it with a link and download it. Anyone know how?

Thanks,
    George
    I used the following not-quite-perfect work-around a little while back to put a pair of contractor's drawing for a re-landscaping project up in a gallery along with some associated pictures. The drawings were PDFs representing 11 x 17 printouts. I used pdf2jpg.net to generate JPG versions of the PDFs. I used the 300 dpi setting and got 5100 x 3300 images that came it at just under 1 MB and just over 1.2 MB. They looked pretty good. Lower resolution versions did not. I then uploaded the JPGs to a gallery along with other pictures. Users could then download the JPG created from the PDF. I prefer to keep the gallery in question password protected, so I don't have an example to share.

If you really wanted to point a user to the source PDF, you could create a single photo content block with the sort of JPG described above and set the "action on click" to a URL of some site other than SmugMug that was hosting the PDF.
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016
    Thanks, Moke
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016
    Mike :)
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016
    jerryr wrote: »
    Hi - Mike is correct - here is an example of what i did for Smugger.
    http://www.cindijonesphotography.com/Business-Info

Click on either icon on the page and it will take you to a document on Cindi's google drive.

Thanks, great example!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2016
    Jtring wrote: »
    I used the following not-quite-perfect work-around a little while back to put a pair of contractor's drawing for a re-landscaping project up in a gallery along with some associated pictures. The drawings were PDFs representing 11 x 17 printouts. I used pdf2jpg.net to generate JPG versions of the PDFs. I used the 300 dpi setting and got 5100 x 3300 images that came it at just under 1 MB and just over 1.2 MB. They looked pretty good. Lower resolution versions did not. I then uploaded the JPGs to a gallery along with other pictures. Users could then download the JPG created from the PDF. I prefer to keep the gallery in question password protected, so I don't have an example to share.

If you really wanted to point a user to the source PDF, you could create a single photo content block with the sort of JPG described above and set the "action on click" to a URL of some site other than SmugMug that was hosting the PDF.

Thanks, Jim. I was wondering if I could fake it with a jpeg version. I appreciate the instructions.