Options

Lightroom Lens profile corrections for A7r ii with Metabones adapter + Canon Lenses?

jpf566jpf566 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited November 3, 2016 in Accessories
Hey everyone! How would I go about setting profile correction for my A7rii Photos when using Canon lenses? I'm not concerned about chromatic aberrations really, I mainly just want the distortion to be corrected as I shoot a lot of architectural.

According to the metabones website profile correction is "not supported" with their adapter, but cant I just tell Lightroom what lense I have? Or if I can't do that can I just create my own custom profile? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've googled around quite a bit and couldn't find an answer. Thanks!!

Jon

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 2, 2016
    First look around and see if anybody has created a custom profile for your particular combination. I did that for adding profile for my Rockinon 14mm f/2.8. Failing that, I would simply choose an existing Adobe profile that's close to it and try that. Maybe try a couple and find the one that works best for that combination. In fact, that's what Scott Kelby recommends. http://lightroomkillertips.com/what-to-do-when-lightroom-cant-find-your-lens-profile/

There are also instructions from Adobe for creating your own profile using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator Tool if you really want to get into it. It's hard to believe that folks haven't done this yet with the various Metabones configurations. So maybe look around on some of the Sony or Metabones forums.
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2016
    Jon, as noted above, try selecting the Canon lens profile for the actual lens you used from the LR menu. It usually works pretty well for me, at least with standard and shorter tele lenses shot with Metabones on either my A7Rii or A6300. You may find that you need manual perspective correction with wider lenses. The Lightroom profile works just OK for landscapes with my Canon 16-35 2.8 L; not nearly as well as the medium to longer focal lengths, especially for objects in the foreground. I have not tried a Canon lens longer than 200mm on my A7Rii so I don't know if the profiles will work with super-tele lenses. I recently bought the Rokinon 14mm referred to by kdog in Sony E mount so I don't have to mess with a non-native wide lens. It's pretty reasonably priced.
  • Options
    jpf566jpf566 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2016
    Thank you so much everyone, I didn't realize how easy that was to just pick the lense profile myself, and it seems to be working quite well, cheers!