Options

Yoga Morning at Kipahulu

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited November 7, 2016 in Landscapes
Awoke to the sounds of the waves crashing against the rocks, and the sun peeking through the clouds. Since everyone else at camp was still sleeping, I went out with my camera and a tripod.

There's only so long a person can stand on a rock before they want to be doing something cooler than just standing on a rock. So, I decided to get a little impromptu yoga time in.

I know there's water on the lens, and I'm not necessarily model material, but I like this one enough to share.

IMG_5326-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2016
    Very nice, peaceful shot.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2016
    A very nice capture. Great morning light and clouds. The yoga pose gives the image a sense of scale. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2016
    First this timing and setting is amazing, but I'll be the nag and say I wish the person was not center. Still a sweet pic that can stand on it's own!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2016
    Mooi alleen de kleur van het water niet mooi.
    grt,boco.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2016
    It is beautifully flawed! Cheers!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2016
    Wow - how did you capture yourself with perfect surroundings?
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    It is beautifully flawed! Cheers!

Thank you for appreciating that aspect of it! You know me, I'm a sucker for a human element dropped into a gorgeous, seemingly untouchable scene. :D
    Juano wrote: »
    Very nice, peaceful shot.

Mahalo! This particular camping area is very special to me. Living on the southern side of the island, we don't get to see sunrises from the water, only from behind the volcano. Sitting at the eastern cliffside, awaiting the giant orange ball to pop out of the water is one of the most peaceful moments I experience, every time.
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A very nice capture. Great morning light and clouds. The yoga pose gives the image a sense of scale. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

That's precisely what I was trying to convey -the sense of scale. These rocks and tide pools are very much no-swim areas, with steep drops, sharp edges, and rough wave action, even during the calm times.
    Tango wrote: »
    First this timing and setting is amazing, but I'll be the nag and say I wish the person was not center. Still a sweet pic that can stand on it's own!

Haha, ya' got me there. I'm a 'don't put things in the middle' guy myself, and I actually started my yoga in a different spot. But, with yoga, you go where it feels like you won't flop off into the drink. :nono
    boco wrote: »
    Mooi alleen de kleur van het water niet mooi.
    grt,boco.

I appreciate the feedback, Boco, thanks! What particularly would you rather see in the water? More blue?
    Eia wrote: »
    Wow - how did you capture yourself with perfect surroundings?

At first, I was standing where the camera is, just photographing some timelapse. That's when I realized I needed something to show the perspective, and I knew a person almost 6' tall might do the trick.

So, I set the intervalometer on the camera to 15sec., climbed down the rock and up the next rock over, and started doing yoga. Knowing the camera was set to 15sec intervals helped me slow my stretches and poses, which in turn forced me to forget about the camera and focus on myself for a while.