Options

4 weeks, 3800 miles

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited November 9, 2016 in Journeys
Recently my wife and I hit the road for a wandering tour of the west. We traveled 700 miles to Livingston Montana where the fun begins.

Heading south of Livingston through the Paradise Valley we ventured up the Mill Creek Rd near Pray Montana.

IMG_7392-L.jpg

It had been a few years since I wondered up this road and in the interim there has been a good size forest fire.

IMG_7397-L.jpg

The hills were covered with spent fireweed blossoms, These hills probably look as if the are on fire again during the bloom in late July, early August.

IMG_7407-L.jpg

A few days later we checked the weather and road conditions and decide to head for Red Lodge Montana and the Beartooth Highway. This time of year the Beartooth can close at anytime for the winter.

#4 The Absaroka Range near Fishtail Montana

IMG_7438-L.jpg

During our 2 hours of travel from Livingston to Red Lodge a storm has moved in from the south and closed the highway at the Montana/Wyoming border, near the top of the pass.

We decide to drive up and check out what we can.

#5 Up the Beartooth, looking up Rock Creek drainage to the south

IMG_7480-L.jpg

#6 Near the top at the MT/WY border

IMG_7445-L.jpg

#7 Connecticut friends, in awe of the altitude (near 10,900Ft) and wide open spaces. MT friends in the background

IMG_7453-L.jpg

Next up will be our journey into Yellowstone, where I act as tour guide for an old army friend, his wife, and first time Yellowstone visitors.
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments