Early Snow, Eastern Sierra Nevada

dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited November 12, 2016 in Landscapes
An early snow storm caps the Sierra Nevada. Big Pine is at the valley bottom in shadow in the center. Lone Pine is in the valley to the left and Bishop to the right.
C&C welcome.
i-jVBTw3M-X2.jpg

Dale B. Dalrymple
"Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
...with apology to Archimedies

Comments

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2016
    Really nice pano thumb.gifthumb. That piece of blue and pink debris near center foreground is a bit of distraction.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2016
    Cool shot. Where did you take this from? Waucoba?
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    Thanks for the responses.

The image is my first pass stitch. I put it in a private gallery to support discussion of a number of issues in different forums. The blue-pink is flare from the sun. It illustrates the flare resistance of the Nikon 16-80mm DX zoom on a D500. I can remove it later because I overlapped the shots I took by over 50% in the area near the sun so I can mask it out when I restitch for my final stitch. I also need to figure out how to fit the highlights into the dynamic range of a jpg because the top of the clouds isn't burned out in the 16 bit tiff files I stitched from and to.

The shot was made from the top of a hill off of the Death Valley Road that runs east from Big Pine. The hilltop is about 600' vertical above the elevation of the Owens River at the center of the valley. The horizontal field of view is about 220 degrees centered roughly west toward the north end of the town of Big Pine.

Dale B. Dalrymple
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2016
  • dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins

I use PTGui to stitch my panoramas. PTGui has the capability to apply tone mapping processing to images formed from single or multiple exposure sets. This panorama was from a single exposure set. In the .tif produced by PTGui, the cloud tops were not burned out but I had trouble fitting that range into the .jpg file for posting. I have gone back to PTGui to restitch with the flare masked and tone mapping to control the dynamic range for .jpg conversion. This is what I came up with. C&C?

Dale B. Dalrymple

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nicely done! I like how the grandness of spectacle comes through.

• mcamannmcamann Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins

One of my favorite parts of the world. Beautifully captured. The scope is magnificent.