Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Cool! Looks like a good time!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    OK, you guys have been up there for 2 1/2 hours. Time to open the 'chute and come down.

How close were you when you took this?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    That is a very cool shot!!!!
  • Options
    HarpHarp Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, you guys have been up there for 2 1/2 hours. Time to open the 'chute and come down.

How close were you when you took this?

I was falling about 7 feet away from them.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Harp wrote:
    I was falling about 7 feet away from them.

I want more details (like the shot, BTW). What kind of camera do you use? EXIF? What kind of special provisions do you make when shooting in freefall? Do you shoot landscapes from up there? I always wished I was rich and idle enough to get into Kite Aerial Photography, but there's no way I'd ever jump out of an airplane...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    7 feet is pretty darn close!

I jumped once, on a static line. Climbing out of the airplane and hanging from the strut was terrifying.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    7 feet is pretty darn close!

I jumped once, on a static line. Climbing out of the airplane and hanging from the strut was terrifying.

I learned by static line in 1985, now 5000 jumps later I wouldn't do one for all the money in the world. Hanging from the strut still scares me.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I want more details (like the shot, BTW). What kind of camera do you use? EXIF? What kind of special provisions do you make when shooting in freefall? Do you shoot landscapes from up there? I always wished I was rich and idle enough to get into Kite Aerial Photography, but there's no way I'd ever jump out of an airplane...

My camera of choice now is a canon 20D and either a Sigma 12-24 mm lense or a fisheye. This was taken with my old standby a Canon T70 film, Cheap body in case of the camera getting knocked off during the jump (I have lost 3 cameras in my career). I am very careful with my digital stuff and only use it in situations when I know I won't get knocked around alot. A small peice of tape holds the focus just under infinity. I normally just use a priority setting since jumpers are traveling at the same speed. I also sometimes rig a flash for sunsets. All mounted on a flatop helmet with a cable release in my mouth. A small sight lets me know where my aim is but I need to fly to the right distance. Takes alot of practice and focus.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2006
    Harp wrote:
    My camera of choice now is a canon 20D and either a Sigma 12-24 mm lense or a fisheye. This was taken with my old standby a Canon T70 film, Cheap body in case of the camera getting knocked off during the jump (I have lost 3 cameras in my career). I am very careful with my digital stuff and only use it in situations when I know I won't get knocked around alot. A small peice of tape holds the focus just under infinity. I normally just use a priority setting since jumpers are traveling at the same speed. I also sometimes rig a flash for sunsets. All mounted on a flatop helmet with a cable release in my mouth. A small sight lets me know where my aim is but I need to fly to the right distance. Takes alot of practice and focus.
    Now that's fascinating information. thumb.gif Thanks for sharing the details.
    Sid.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Great, nice sharp focus , amazin and word perfect.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Good shot. Here is one I took 39 years ago, with a $15.00 box camera. All details of camera have long since been purged from the memory.

Not as close or technically sound, but it holds some fond memories.

Sam