Options

Ox Bow Bend, Blue hour

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited November 15, 2016 in Landscapes
While spending a week or so near Dubois Wy in the Wind river area, I got up early one morning to head for Oxbow Bend.

It's a little over an hour drive across Togwotee Pass. I arrived about 45 minutes before sunrise and the place was packed. There were 2 photo workshops in progress and several more individual photographers already set up. I was able to squeeze in and set up my gear without getting into anyone's composition.

I'm usually one of those guys that goes early and stays late. On this day, as the morning progressed, the people kept coming. More and more people kept crowding into the area and setting up in front of those who had arrived much earlier, creating a bit of tension.

I captured this image during the blue hour, about 15 minutes before sunrise. I grabbed a couple of sunrise images and was out of there.

IMG_7709-L.jpg

Larger; https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/New-Images/i-j43PfXB/0/X2/IMG_7709-X2.jpg

All comments and critique are welcomed.

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2016
    I like the sky did you pp it or it that natural?

Glad I was not there I tend to let people know of their rudeness and that can lead into unpleasant ness for people even for me... squeeze in is one thing but the setting up In front of established setups should bring out the soft tomatoes flying through the air!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2016
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2016
    Tango wrote: »
    I like the sky did you pp it or it that natural?

Glad I was not there I tend to let people know of their rudeness and that can lead into unpleasant ness for people even for me... squeeze in is one thing but the setting up In front of established setups should bring out the soft tomatoes flying through the air!

The colors of the sky are true. During PP of raw image I bumped the vibrancy, added some clarity, and some luminosity for the trees.

I made several inconsiderate individuals aware, that they were getting into the compositions of other photographers. One responded that it was a public space, and having gotten there so early, I should have set up where no one could get in front of me.
    It was at that point that I decided to leave.

boco wrote: »
    Mooie kleuren.
    grt,boco.

dank je

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited November 12, 2016
    Beautiful shot... I love the subtle colors.

I'm appalled at the behavior of people like those you mentioned. I'm glad you were able to get this wonderful shot before their rudeness intervened.

--- Denise
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    Lovely capture Phil!

If mine, I would have cloned out the super bright weeds in bottom left corner and edges.

cheers!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited November 13, 2016
    Never been to Oxbow, but I can see why it is so popular. Yes, people are a problem sometimes.

I had an inconsiderate photog over in Acadia set up right in front of me in the early AM on the shore at Otter Cliffs. I stood there stunned that someone would do that. After a few minutes I began taking photos of just him until he began to take notice. He asked why he was the subject of my shots - I told him that since I could no longer get the composition I had set up for after traveling 1400 miles, that I would do a photo study of him instead. He then put it together and moved to another area.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »

I made several inconsiderate individuals aware, that they were getting into the compositions of other photographers. One responded that it was a public space, and having gotten there so early, I should have set up where no one could get in front of me.

It was at that point that I decided to leave.

Sounds like you handled it like a champ, and still walked away with a fabulous photo! I bet this was a lovely time, hanging out breathing crisp morning air, awaiting the arrival of our sun's rays. Can't wait to schedule another trip to the mainland!

Mahalo for sharing,

-Jonathon
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016
    Beautiful shot... I love the subtle colors.

I'm appalled at the behavior of people like those you mentioned. I'm glad you were able to get this wonderful shot before their rudeness intervened.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. I have shot this location a least 1/2 dozen times, and this was by far the busiest day ever, except for 10/1/13 when the government shutdown. By the time I left, there must have been well over 100 people jockeying for position.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Lovely capture Phil!

If mine, I would have cloned out the super bright weeds in bottom left corner and edges.

cheers!

Thanks Taz. Excellent call for some digital weeding.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Never been to Oxbow, but I can see why it is so popular. Yes, people are a problem sometimes.

I had an inconsiderate photog over in Acadia set up right in front of me in the early AM on the shore at Otter Cliffs. I stood there stunned that someone would do that. After a few minutes I began taking photos of just him until he began to take notice. He asked why he was the subject of my shots - I told him that since I could no longer get the composition I had set up for after traveling 1400 miles, that I would do a photo study of him instead. He then put it together and moved to another area.

Thanks David. Sounds as if you hit on a perfect solution for the inconsiderate person that walked into your composition.

• Options
    edited November 13, 2016
    Sounds like you handled it like a champ, and still walked away with a fabulous photo! I bet this was a lovely time, hanging out breathing crisp morning air, awaiting the arrival of our sun's rays. Can't wait to schedule another trip to the mainland!

Mahalo for sharing,

-Jonathon

Thanks. It's always a great time at a location like this, clicking away as the light changes, hoping for that epic shot, but just as happy to be in the moment.

• Options
    TMcEwenTMcEwen Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    Nice shot
    - Thomas McEwen - (Nashville, TN)
    http://www.tmcewenphotography.com/
  • Options
    AndrewWAndrewW Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2016
    Great shot and worth the effort. The layer of fog is a nice touch, too.

Usually at this spot I will get there super early and hide down at the river bank. I don't get that layer of foliage in the foreground, but less bickering people. Sometimes I hear the commotion above/behind me and just sit peacefully. :) I have been tempted to lob a stone into the reflection when they get too loud though.
    -- Andrew -- | Instagram | Photo Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2016
    AndrewW wrote: »
    Great shot and worth the effort. The layer of fog is a nice touch, too.

Usually at this spot I will get there super early and hide down at the river bank. I don't get that layer of foliage in the foreground, but less bickering people. Sometimes I hear the commotion above/behind me and just sit peacefully. :) I have been tempted to lob a stone into the reflection when they get too loud though.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I noticed you were there the week before me, nice capture. Your shot from the beaver ponds is nice also.

Phil