Options

a bit of color still visible

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
edited November 18, 2016 in Landscapes
The wild wind on Friday dropped many of the remaining leaves - the view from my back windows is stark, bare branches. Yesterday I headed to the Harold Parker State Forest to check for color.

1 ::
201611_XT1_4914L-X2.jpg

2 ::
201611_XT1_4912L-X2.jpg

3 ::
201611_XT1_4860L-X2.jpg

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    Beautiful, Denise. Sometimes autumn shots with only a little color can be more effective than those with a lot of it.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Beautiful, Denise. Sometimes autumn shots with only a little color can be more effective than those with a lot of it.
    Thank you! You're right about that - somehow I always think I want full color but the edges of the color are beautiful too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    I really like these, Denise, particularly #s 2 and 3. On both of those, I'd like to see a tad more contrast....not enough to lose significant detail. Purely personal preference. The colors up in the Southern Appalachians this year were way below expectations. Not enough rain during the Summer and not near enough really cold jolts to set the leaves off.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    These are gorgeous, all three! You've done well to capture the feeling of an east coast autumn day. Mahalo for sharing!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »

I agree with Don, a very nice set. thumb.gifthumb

I'm also a fan of reflections that have a bit of disturbance on the water, in my mind creating a more artful look.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »

I'm also a fan of reflections that have a bit of disturbance on the water, in my mind creating a more artful look.

You bring up a great point here, Phil. A perfectly still water surface is grand, but creates a type of scene that doesn't seem like an individual could ever really experience that themselves. Add a little wind to the water and now it feels more like what most people have seen in their lives, in terms of elements in a scene.

The same goes with evidence of humans in an image.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016
    I really like these, Denise, particularly #s 2 and 3. On both of those, I'd like to see a tad more contrast....not enough to lose significant detail. Purely personal preference.
    Thanks Tom. I'll take another look.
    ... a little later... I did try upping the contrast but I prefer the photos as they are currently. Definitely personal preference, but it's always good to take another look.
    These are gorgeous, all three! You've done well to capture the feeling of an east coast autumn day. Mahalo for sharing!
    Thank you! I love seeing your Hawaii photos but I also like the seasons here.
    roaddog52 wrote: »

Thanks for commenting. While I also like totally clear water, the disturbances are real - and I also like them.
    You bring up a great point here, Phil. A perfectly still water surface is grand, but creates a type of scene that doesn't seem like an individual could ever really experience that themselves. Add a little wind to the water and now it feels more like what most people have seen in their lives, in terms of elements in a scene.

The same goes with evidence of humans in an image.
    Sometimes the water is perfectly still but often it's not. I'm a big fan of reality...

--- Denise
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2016
    My favorite is #1, possibly because we're not accustomed to seeing vertical landscapes. I agree Re less is sometimes more when it comes to color.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2016
    sara505 wrote: »
    My favorite is #1, possibly because we're not accustomed to seeing vertical landscapes. I agree Re less is sometimes more when it comes to color.
    Thank you Sara.

I took both vertical and horizontal photos of #1 and I much prefer the vertical in this case.

--- Denise
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2016
    Yeah #1 is sweet!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Yeah #1 is sweet!
    Thank you!

--- Denise
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2016
    The last one shows a lot of color - probably due to the reflection -- my favorite.
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    The last one shows a lot of color - probably due to the reflection -- my favorite.
    Thanks AnnaMaria!

That one shows red, but a couple of works earlier there was much more color. I just looked to see if I have the same viewpoint from earlier. This is focused to the right of the last photo in my first post - where the last photo shows bare trunks, this one shows color.

4 ::
    201610_XT1_3652L-X2.jpg
    --- Denise
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2016
    Lovely set Denise! I think #2 is my favorite, I'd probably cut the some or all of the sky out of the reflection though(i.e. off the bottom) and turn the format into more of a Pano. Would look good on the wall!
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2016
    Lovely set Denise! I think #2 is my favorite, I'd probably cut the some or all of the sky out of the reflection though(i.e. off the bottom) and turn the format into more of a Pano. Would look good on the wall!
    Thank you!

--- Denise