Options

Website Browse Facility

LimpopoboyLimpopoboy Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited November 18, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Hey Guys

As I start to modify the standard Smugmug site I notice in the homepage menu a browse facility. What is the purpose of this link or facility as I or visitors can use the search facility to find what they need on the site. What do others use this facility for?

Thanks

Limpopoboy :scratch:scratch:scratch:scratch

Comments

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2016
    Limpopoboy wrote: »
    Hey Guys

As I start to modify the standard Smugmug site I notice in the homepage menu a browse facility. What is the purpose of this link or facility as I or visitors can use the search facility to find what they need on the site. What do others use this facility for?

Thanks

Limpopoboy headscratch.gifscratchheadscratch.gifscratch

The /browse page is a simple way for visitors to find your galleries. If you customize your menu, you might not have a need for it. The /browse page is fully customizable though, so you might find another way to use it. Personally, I changed mine completely to a categorized listing of smart galleries. My main navigation is by date, so I use /browse to give visitors a completely different way to explore my site... by topic instead of by date.

Dave
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2016
    I removed mine.

+1^
    Me too
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2016

What do others use this facility for?

I find the /Browse page useful for quickly navigating my entire hierarchy including Unlisted folders/galleries. I get there via a shortcut that I set up in my browser. I removed it from my menu, as visitors don't need that view.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2016
    Thanks guys.. Out it will go.

Limpopoboy
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2016
    Thanks guys.. Out it will go.

Limpopoboy

Just keep in mind that removing it from the menu doesn't remove it from your site. Won't matter for most people, but for some it might provide access to galleries they don't mean for visitor to reach. Customize it to remove all content if you really want to get rid of it completely.

Dave
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2016
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that removing it from the menu doesn't remove it from your site. Won't matter for most people, but for some it might provide access to galleries they don't mean for visitor to reach. Customize it to remove all content if you really want to get rid of it completely.

Dave

I use this to totally block it. Just edit the .sm-page-node-XXXXX for your /browse page.
    /**
    * Hides Browse Page
    ************************************************/	
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-node-[B]XXXXX[/B] .sm-page-layout-region-body {display:none;}	
    .sm-user-ui .sm-user-loggedin.sm-page-node-[B]XXXXX[/B] .sm-page-layout-region-body {display:block;}		

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2016
    I modified my /browse page with a folder widget/box to only show the public folders I want.
    The folders I show are the old smug categories.

On old Smug it took a hack to show galleries/categories, on new Smug they added
    the /browse page to do the same without using a hack. Remember the /galleries
    page on old Smug?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2016
    I use this to totally block it. Just edit the .sm-page-node-XXXXX for your /browse page.
    /**
    * Hides Browse Page
    ************************************************/	
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-node-[B]XXXXX[/B] .sm-page-layout-region-body {display:none;}	
    .sm-user-ui .sm-user-loggedin.sm-page-node-[B]XXXXX[/B] .sm-page-layout-region-body {display:block;}		

Blimey all way above me. Codes, etc.. I have just deleted it from the menu. How do I access and add code and where to add it. Best way of reading code on SM?

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2016
    Blimey all way above me. Codes, etc.. I have just deleted it from the menu. How do I access and add code and where to add it. Best way of reading code on SM?

Thanks guys

You need to view the source code, 'Cltrl + u'. Then find the <body> tag:

i-mt6HwND-XL.jpg