Options

Another Resupinatus applicatus and a Closer Look

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited November 29, 2016 in Holy Macro
My first encounter with this species was in a local wood. Although I had the correct lens with me to take high magnifications shots the specimen was a bit chewed (slugs?) and such close work need good lighting and plenty of time. So I just uploaded some shots of the whole colony.

Yesterday morning, I was doing my usual foray around the garden, hoping to spot any interesting slime moulds or fungi ahead of the forecast severe frost (which we are now experiencing). I picked up a stick next to our compost heaps, not a place where I retain material of interest, and was surprised to see these grey, inverted gill fungi.

I immediately thought of that as the Resupinatus I found in Great Copse. From memory, that was rather larger. On checking, I find that not to be the case, the largest garden one being ca 2.5mm across. The new find was on some dry twig (I don't know what species), most of the bark gone, lying on leaf litter-rich soil.

The first shot was a try-out of a x2 Olympus 4/3 TC behind the 50mm f2 at f9 (effective) and a little below closest working distance. The other are with my usual reversed HM40 setup at f11 nominal,the FOV 6mm wide. All shot with triple TTL flash and hand-held.

The inverted gills make in situ photography of gill detail possible which would not be with typical gill fungi i.e. mushrooms. The tiny spots are less likely to be spored that the basidia, tiny projections, which bear them. I also got a side view, showing the lack of a stem.

All were with EM-1 in manual mode. No significant cropping has been done.

Harold

1383960.jpg?ts=1480403007

1383961.jpg?ts=1480403007

1383962.jpg?ts=1480403007

1383963.jpg?ts=1480403007