Options

Dawn from Waterson Divide

dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited December 4, 2016 in Landscapes
Sunrise between California's Eastern Sierra and White Mountains from the top of Waterson Divide. The panorama is split in three sections for a better fit to the screen.

The top third looks east to the White Mountains. The left end peak is Mongomery Peak. The center is 14,240' White Mountain. The middle third looks south-east down the Owens Valley. The peak at the right is nearly due south. It is Mount Tom which lies west of the town of Bishop. The cloud formation that arches over the middle and bottom sections is usually seen as white in a blue sky in daytime and called the "Sierra Wave".

i-hSVnRVD-XL.jpg

For a continuous version try:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cgDvzVH/0/O/i-cgDvzVH.jpg

Dale B. Dalrymple
"Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
...with apology to Archimedies

Comments

• Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2016
  • Options
    Bobcat132Bobcat132 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    Great capture. Love the color palette Dale.
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins

People who live in the mountains like to say: "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes." At dawn in the eastern Sierras when there's a storm over the mountains, if you don't like the color palette, you don't have to wait 15 minutes.
    It took 2 minutes 40 seconds to shoot the 31 images in the original panorama. Eight minutes after I started the first sequence, I started a 27 shot sequence that took 1 minute 30 seconds to record. That produced the image below.

When I finished the second sequence I looked back toward White Mountain (which had been backlit by the sun) and the light was gone. No sun hit the bottom of the clouds or any thing else in that part of the valley until the storm moved on in the afternoon.

Dale B. Dalrymple

"Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies