Options

Rocky Mountain National Park

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited December 5, 2016 in Landscapes
Its been a while since I've been up to the park. Normally it takes me 40 minutes or so driving up the canyon to get to the park, but the canyon road has been closed for a few months now while they rebuild it from the flood three years ago. So now, I have to go a round about way to get to the park, which adds about 45 minutes each way.

Anyway, I went up there for some hiking and photography. It was windy and cold, which wasn't too comfortable, but make for some interesting photo opportunities with all the blowing snow.

First I'm going to post photos from one camera. These are black and white IR photos, only using the light spectrum of 720nm and higher. I had another camera along and will post those later, they'll be on color and taken close to the same areas as these first photos.

31401484325_be91d1ef43_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31032593180_0794eceb9f_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31401483995_167bf92865_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31032592580_14c2e01f67_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31401483595_4f24f8a8b7_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31032592080_8194fe4f69_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 6 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

I'll post the color photos as soon as I process the RAW files, hopefully later tonight.

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2016
    A very nice set of B&W images. Some nice clouds, light and scenery thumb.gif. A few of them feel as if they aren't level, I realize it is sloping terrain, and this could be an optical illusion, but the first and second to last feel a bit unlevel. When you post multiple images at one time, it is most helpful to number them, so that others can comment easier on individual images.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2016
    Yeah, they don't feel level, but they are. The EM10 has a built in level that I always use.

The mountains can give some tricky perspectives.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2016
    Well I have the color photos finished.

Just a few notes on them. These were taken handheld and rather quickly, they weren't set on a tripod and framed as well as the IR photos. Also, there will be some differences in the field of view and rendering as I was using different focal lengths with the IR shots and I am stuck with one focal length on this camera 30mm. Lastly, the internet doesn't display full colors and tonal ranges compared to what you would see in Photoshop for example, so the images look better on my calibrated screen using in Photoshop than they will here on the web.

With that out of the way, here are the photos. These were taken on a Sigma DM2 Merrill, an APS-C size sensor camera. The Merrill uses a different type of sensor compared to others, called a Foveon sensor, which is three separate sensors stacked on top of eachother with each sensor responsible for each primary color. Because of this there is no interpolation like in other cameras and the detail captured is comparable with a high dollar medium format digital camera. It is one of my favorite cameras.

It is interesting to see the difference between the two types of images. The IR photos pick up a some different light compared to the color photos, so things like the leaves and grasses "glow" more than in normal light. I really like color, but there is a place for B&W. Its hard for me to make a judgment on which I like better.

31385073746_58d30e10fd_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

30613808883_fa944de298_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 4 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31385073096_755cffcfd8_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 5 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

31385074616_b6ba0dd326_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

30613809443_7f084669c1_o.jpgRMNP 3 Dec 2016 DP2 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited December 5, 2016
    It's very interesting to see the comparison. My favorite is the 4th photo of each set, with a strong preference for the color version of the photo.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 5, 2016
    Denice, I agree that I prefer the fourth image in each stack, but I find it hard to really choose between the color version and the monochrome version. My spouse pointed out that th sky is much more dramatic in the monochrome image and the color image sky is just pretty grey, and I agree with her assessment. I think that's why I tend to prefer the monochrome version. I like the color part of the image, but the sky can't carry its share of the image.

I think I'd like to see them stacked and blended in some way in PS to dial down the saturation of the color frame a bit and to add some drama to the sky maybe.

I do like the view down into the valley between the two mountain ridges in the fog. Fog is always nice dressing gown for a landscape.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited December 5, 2016
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Denise, I agree that I prefer the fourth image in each stack, but I find it hard to really choose between the color version and the monochrome version. My spouse pointed out that the sky is much more dramatic in the monochrome image and the color image sky is just pretty grey, and I agree with her assessment. I think that's why I tend to prefer the monochrome version. I like the color part of the image, but the sky can't carry its share of the image.
    Your spouse is right - I didn't notice that earlier. I agree that the sky is better in that image but I still lean towards the color photo. I think dialing down the saturation might be something I would also like though.

--- Denise