Options

Rummaging Through my Shoebox- a Couple B&Ws

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited December 5, 2016 in Landscapes
I have been wandering through old files shot several years ago ( 2010 ), and I found a couple IR images from Arches. Caught with a converted Canon 40D

Balanced%20Rock%20in%20IR%202293-X2.jpg

Arches%20in%20IR-2277-X2.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited December 4, 2016
    Both really nice. The first one has a 3D quality that I have only seen rarely. Excellent work.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2016
    Thanks Richard. I liked these files from frames shot 6 years ago with a 40D. LR CC just keeps getting better, I think.

Converting IR to monochrome can be really convoluted, require new camera profiles, ( LightRoom frequently won't even correct them properly after conversion ) etc, and for these images all I did was click B&W in LR and then a bit of slider adjusting.

I wanted black skies, and there they were. Set black and white points, drag the blues down a bit, and done. No Sliver FX or PS or anything.

I need to shoot more IR I think. I no longer have that IR camera, the AF mechanism died, and after a conversion I wasn't sure anyone would repair it. My current IR body is Panasonic Lumix GH3.

Clouds were great that day, not all that common in the SW

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2016
    Brilliant Jim!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 4, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    The first one has a 3D quality that I have only seen rarely. .
    Wow, it sure does. What's causing it, the depth from the clouds? The tonality and contrast? I haven't been all that interested in IR before, but maybe I'm starting to see the light (no pun intended).
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2016
    I think the sheer darkness of the sky and the spectacular clouds are part of it - here's another one of Monument Valley

Monument%20Valley%202229-X2.jpg

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2016
    Great images all thumb.gifthumb. Really like the 1st image of Balancing Rock. I may have to check out an IR conversion.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited December 5, 2016
    Both good IR shots, Jim, with that first one being my favorite. I've got one of that exact view in B&W from back in my film days. Sure wish I knew about IR back then. You had perfect "IR clouds" that day. Those are rare and when I see them on one of my days off I just want to get out there with my converted camera.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2016
    Great again! In the last shot, I would try to pull back darks, in middle of the photo near horizon....to give buttes some more definition and contrast. JMO. Cheers!
  • Options
    fotografobarcelonafotografobarcelona Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2016
    Great shot again, keep it going.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great again! In the last shot, I would try to pull back darks, in middle of the photo near horizon....to give buttes some more definition and contrast. JMO. Cheers!

Taz, the darkness along the horizon is a very large approaching dust storm - I darkened it particularly to let the viewer see it better. In the original frame is it almost the same tone as the rocks because it is red powdered rock and sand. You can't see the buttes in the background, you are quite correct.

The wind was blowing so hard I thought it was going to take the paint off my car. I had forgotten the wind since I shot these frames 6 years ago. The previous day ( driving to Monument Valley ) visibility was down to 20-30 feet from blowing sand. Fortunately the air had cleared by the time I was shooting the buttes, but there were still haboobs wandering about in the desert

• Options
    edited December 5, 2016
    Makes sense Jim! The little guy in the middle is Waldo! ;o)
    Always happy to see your work!