Help for newbie?

hamactinghamacting Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
Hi, new forum member here. I was going to start off by posting in the "Alphabet Game" topic, but couldn't find how to include a picture. I tried using what I believed to be Markdown syntax, but the preview just showed my markdown - not the picture.

So,... is there somewhere I should be visiting to fund a list of "how tos" for posting, marking up and including images?

Many thanks,
/alan

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

I have the same question.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • hamactinghamacting Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    Ah... your editor page is much more interesting than what I see. I just see a slab of white space, with no icons above it. Nor, indeed, do I see the text that says "You can use Markdown in your post".

I'll try logging on with a different browser and see whether that helps

Thank you
    Sadly not. This is from Firefox, I had previously tried from Chrome. Maybe I don't have enough points to be allowed bold text yet? :smile:

---

Okay, that could be it. I just tried to post a link to a picture of my bare editor window, and a big red splotch appeared telling me that "[I] have to be around for a little while longer to post links"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,891 moderator

@hamacting : Yes, in order to reduce spambots from posting, there are a few restrictions that new members face for a time. Since you don't sound like a robot to me (or you're an extremely smart one worthy of respect), I've lifted that requirement and you should be able to post now. We've just started using a new software platform and are still learning how it works, so if you are still unable to post a pic, reply in this discussion and we'll try to figure it out.

@willard3 : You're well known around here and should not be having the same problem hamacting did. Try to follow Denise's instructions above and if you still have a problem, let us know.

Ah... I now have a row of icons above the edit box. I guess that must mean I'm fully vetted, or whatever is being done

Just for the sake of experimenting, let me try to add a picture...

Ah, looks as if I need to go to my Smugmug site. Hang on, I'll be right back

Try this - Stirling in the snow

2016-02-23 (Day 054) Stirling

@Richard said:
    @hamacting : Yes, in order to reduce spambots from posting, there are a few restrictions that new members face for a time. Since you don't sound like a robot to me (or you're an extremely smart one worthy of respect), I've lifted that requirement and you should be able to post now. We've just started using a new software platform and are still learning how it works, so if you are still unable to post a pic, reply in this discussion and we'll try to figure it out.

Thank you Richard, it's all working now.

And of course, I am not a bot... bot... bot... bot...

Looks good. And welcome to Dgrin.

Thank you :-D
    Oops... all of the icons appear to have gone away...
    edited December 7, 2016

That's odd. Have you tried reloading the discussion? Where are you seeing the problem? There is a known problem with this on editing posts.

Yep, all the formatting icons gone away, showing up on different browsers, F5 and Ctrl-F5 not making any difference.
    Just re-logged in on an incognito tab, still no buttons

OK, I was able to see what you are seeing. The fix I applied at first seems to have vanished. I applied it again, but am not sure it will last. We will investigate. Sorry for the problem. You joined the forum just when we switched to new software and we're still working out some of the kinks.

Patience.

Sorry to cause so much trouble. The buttons are back, though - thank you

Let us know if they disappear again.

I hate to say this... but they've gone away again.

Look, no rush about it - let it just happen when the system is good and ready; I don't want to put you to un-necessary work
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Followed Denise's instruction with success.

I used to post from Photobucket wirh url address: I see i can no longer do this

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    Do you have any feel for how long it would be before the "normal" process kicks in and gives me access to full functionality?

/alan

Uf, I was afraid of that. In theory, the "normal" process should have kicked in already. Sorry for all the problems you're having. We'll do our best to fix it soon.

• Bobcat132Bobcat132 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    To piggyback on this thread. How long do I need to wait to post a link?

I tried creating new customization thread, but I wasn't able to do so because it won't let me post links.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
    Alan
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,213 moderator
    edited December 10, 2016

@Bobcat132 said:
    I tried creating new customization thread, but I wasn't able to do so because it won't let me post links.

Alan -
    I don't have the answer to your question (although I'm sure one of the forum admins will provide an answer), but if you want to post a new customization thread with questions, post your URL as pure text. For example, my site would be www dot denisegoldberg dot com. Include a note that you can't post the actual URL but that you have included text telling folks how to find your site.

--- Denise

• Bobcat132Bobcat132 Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2016
    Denise than you. That is actually a great idea and it worked.

Wish you a nice day,
    Alan

@Bobcat132 said:

If we told you we'd have to kill you ;) Seriously, we don't want to tip our hand to the spambots. But be patient, it should be soon. Oh, and welcome to Dgrin.

• mcamannmcamann Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2016
    Sorry, posted in the wrong place.

Woohoo - full functionality appears to have arrived!

edited December 11, 2016

Glad to hear it. Hope it stays put. And sorry about the problems. We've just moved the forum to new software, but it's a little like new shoes---all shiny and new, but a few blisters too in the beginning. Thanks for being patient.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Many Grins
    I have the same problem as hamacting (December 7, 2016) and also: I am not a robot. So would you be kind enough and lift the restrictions on me?