Ominous Air

Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited January 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
We're having very unsettled, sometimes dangerous weather out here in California this winter. We are lucky in Central California that we don't get the violent weather that they get along the coast or the snow they get in the mountains.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't get scary sometimes. Taken this afternoon from the safety of my garage. Yes, I'm a chicken when it comes to getting my camera wet.

Your opinions and comments are always welcome!

BTW, that's a color shot. I did not convert to grayscale. That's how big these storms get.
www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.

Comments

• Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Hi There Neighbor!

We live just a bit south of you (in Farmersville). That sure was some storm that came through today!!! I don't blame you for shooting from your garage. The weather was pretty intense (and how about that hail! did you get some of that, too?).

I took some pics of the sky today as well...haven't downloaded 'em yet to see how they turned out. Decided it was too dicey to shoot pics after the rain started, so we went to see The Chronicles of Narnia instead (fantastic movie, btw!).

Sure hope the people in the mountains did OK...the severe weather warnings on TV for those areas were pretty scary. Well, at least we got some badly needed rain and a good blanket of snow at the higher elevations (can't wait to see how the mountains look tomorrow!).

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    What a great capture of an amazing looking storm. thumb.gif It makes me shiver just looking at it.:yikes

For the challenge, I would consider cloning out the bit of tree on the right hand side. It doesn't add anything and is a bit diistracting. If it were my picture, I would also try brightening the lower part of the photo just to see how that worked. You definitely don't want to lose any of the roiling beauty of the clouds (you can protect them with masking) but a bit more detail (and I mean just a bit) in the trees might make the shot even more interesting. Or it might not. You would have to see.

Finally, I am not as knowledgeable about or as senstive to b&w conversions as many other dgrinners, but there might be some who would prefer this photo if you did convert it. Maybe using a red filter effect to further dramatize the sky. ne_nau.gif Hopefully, someone who knows what they are talking about will speak to that point.

Thanks for sharing.

Virginia

Email