Selling Apples

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited January 15, 2006 in Holy Macro
So, today my photo club's studio group met for the third time.

The leader of the group laid out the plan for the day.

He opened a bag of apples. The task... Using whatever material and equipment you could find in our clubhouse take a advertising photograph ready for presentation to the fictional apple company.

Everyone devided up into groups. I was joined by another memeber who was willing to work with me.

I cant show you the results of the other three groups efforts, but I can show you ours. The hand in the images belongs to my partner.

We started with a straight shot of just the apple.

52349269-L.jpg

While I was mildly satisfied with the results, I thought a more dynamic shot would be needed to top the other groups.

We decided to add a human element. Putting the apple into my partners hand we came up with this.

52349270-L.jpg

I did not like the sleeve of his shirt in the shot. I also thought the shadow in his palm was a bit strong.

We made some minor adjustments and came up with this.

52349285-L.jpg

The loss of the sleve was a plus, but the shadow still bothered me and the hand position seemed less than natural.

We then tried putting the apple down and having the hand reach for it. In the end, this is the shot that we went with.

52349276-L.jpg

We were both pretty happy with the results, and I liked it better than any of the images presented by the other groups.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about it.

Oh, by the way, equipment, one strobe, my sb-800 flash unit and 2 peices of white paper.

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Looks like alot of fun. Wish we had something like this where I live, but the only shooting clubs around here all have rebel flag tattoos and deer antlers on their trucksrolleyes1.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Nice Series
    GREAPER wrote:
    So, today my photo club's studio group met for the third time.

The leader of the group laid out the plan for the day.

He opened a bag of apples. The task... Using whatever material and equipment you could find in our clubhouse take a advertising photograph ready for presentation to the fictional apple company.

Everyone devided up into groups. I was joined by another memeber who was willing to work with me.

I cant show you the results of the other three groups efforts, but I can show you ours. The hand in the images belongs to my partner.

We started with a straight shot of just the apple.

While I was mildly satisfied with the results, I thought a more dynamic shot would be needed to top the other groups.

We decided to add a human element. Putting the apple into my partners hand we came up with this.
    I did not like the sleeve of his shirt in the shot. I also thought the shadow in his palm was a bit strong.

We made some minor adjustments and came up with this.
    The loss of the sleve was a plus, but the shadow still bothered me and the hand position seemed less than natural.

We then tried putting the apple down and having the hand reach for it. In the end, this is the shot that we went with.

We were both pretty happy with the results, and I liked it better than any of the images presented by the other groups.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about it.

Oh, by the way, equipment, one strobe, my sb-800 flash unit and 2 peices of white paper.

Looks like you had a great time....with very very pleasing results indeed clap.gif
    I like the last shot too......... I like them all actually, but if I was asked to pick on it would be number 4.
    Thanks for sharing.......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    Nice job and a great series, or how you got to the final shot which I like a bunch!

I'm with Eric would be great to have a club like that in the area.