Shooting in a night club

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins

I was asked by a friend to shoot his band playing at a club. Suggestions on equipment needed? Lenses, speed lights, studio strobes, light mods?

D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 17, 2017

Bands have been shot with every thing from a camera body with a single fast optic, to full studio lighting and makeup artists.

Depends on what you and the band want, I think. Or what the band is willing to pay for.

Also, the lighting the venue will play a role as well.

But modern DSLRs can do pretty well with high ISO. At ISO 1600 even a little speed lite packs a pretty big wallop.

I would suggest some devices to diffuse the flash's light, or bounce it off a appropriate wall if available

If you're going to shoot available light, maybe a Color Checker for a grey card for white balance might be worthwhile as well. Some available light shots of bands end up Black and White for more drama.

I would start by asking what equipment you have and are comfortable using. Speedlites - one, two, three or more? Lighting modifiers. Studio Umbrellas, Reflectors, etc,

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • akurcanakurcan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Given the gear you've listed in your signature, I think you're all set. I would bring a couple of speedlights on tall stands, with domes/diffusion pockets pointed straight up, and take a "bare bulb" approach. Position these wide at the edges of the stage.
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

I have not done this much, but when I have, I find that natural light (i.e. the band's own special effects lighting) yields far more interesting shots than speedlights or flash, unless you are going to convert to mono. And don't work too hard at the white balance to get rid of the off color, go with it for effect, e.g.

Not one natural skin tone in there anywhere. :)