Playing with my food

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited December 18, 2016 in Other Cool Shots

Romaneso is a vegetable in the broccoli/cauliflower family. It's a nice example of naturally occurring fractals. I decided to buy one the other day just to take some photos.

Seen up close, it's very trippy.

While the real thing is strange enough, I just had to drop it into pixel bender to have some fun.

Well, that was fun but now I'm going to have to eat the damn thing...

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

very interesting!

Is the taste close to either broccoli or cauliflower, or is it very different?

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow! Brilliant Richard!

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Those are fantastic, Richard, but after seeing them, I'm not sure I'd want to eat it! ;)

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

The processing kaleidoscope works great with this subject.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@denisegoldberg
    Denise, to me it tastes slightly more like cauliflower than broccoli. Definitely in the family.

@Richard
    Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food??? Love these - #5 is my favorite!

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Very cool. It looks like some kind of sea urchin.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Having fun yet?

Very cool spirals, I'm fascinated by geometrical patterns in nature too.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Thanks, all. I had it with lunch today, and I felt a little guilty dropping my model into a boiling kettle.

@denisegoldberg said:
    Is the taste close to either broccoli or cauliflower, or is it very different?

It smells like cauliflower when it's cooking, but the texture is more like broccoli and it's a little sweeter.

@sarasphotos said:
    Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food???

Of course, but that was part of the fun. :wink:

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

The fractals are very creative.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 22, 2016

@willard3 said:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, I processed #2 in Deepdreams, Google's AI on acid. Curiously, it was hardly interested at all in the plant, but really got into the noisy background:

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Richard said:

@willard3 said:

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, I processed #2 in Deepdreams, Google's AI on acid. Curiously, it was hardly interested at all in the plant, but really got into the noisy background:

The first post was right down my alley....very neat stuff. This picture is something else. Those " things " that jumped into the scene bear close watching. That one eye that keeps glaring at me from the top right has got me really spooked. I'd get this app off of my computer right pronto before something bad happens.

Merry Christmas, brother,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

For first time I actually saw this vegetable in super market.....it was beautiful....I immediately thought of this thread