Options

Is my Canon 6D fake/repaired/gray market or just weird?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinnerNorth GeorgiaPosts: 0 Big grins
I have a Canon 6D that has "600D" printed on the rear LCD panel. I thought this was odd but didn't fret over it. Searching the web, I can't find any info about switched out LCDs.

Today I tried to get a shutter count reading via the "Shutter Count" app from Apple's App store and I get no readings at all. The app works with my 7D and with my most current Canon SL1.

The only other variable is that I did run a firmware update the 6D today.

Any thoughts? Could the camera have been repaired, salvaged, etc?

And yes, this is my first post. Hello to you all. I found this forum via Baldy's other forum. I hope jumping in with a question is not bad form. Hoping to get some clarity and perhaps help anyone else encountering such weirdness.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Welcome to Dgrin, Porkchop. :smile:

Obvious questions, where did you get it? Used sale or new? Did you get the warranty card with it containing the same serial number? What about the box?

The shutter count protocol thing doesn't mean much. The Canon 5DMKIII can't be read with third party apps either, but the 5DMKII can.

I've never seen anything printed on a Canon LCD panel, so that's very strange. It does sound like it was repaired with a non-factory part.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinner North GeorgiaPosts: 0 Big grins
    Mystery solved.

I knew as soon as I posted I would figure it out — duh!
    It appears to have a third party screen protecter applied that is printed with 600D.

Good to know about the shutter count app. Is there a way to get an accurate count on the 6D?

The camera is from a friend. I'll need to ask her about the protective cover.

Should I have this thread nuked? Seems a little useless now.

Thanks for the reply and welcome.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

@Porkchop316 said:
    Should I have this thread nuked? Seems a little useless now.

Not at all - it may one day reach Epic Status:
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/57102/saw-my-piccie-in-a-movie-without-permission/p1

And welcome to DGrin!

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 19, 2016

@Porkchop316 said:
    Mystery solved.

I knew as soon as I posted I would figure it out — duh!

It appears to have a third party screen protecter applied that is printed with 600D.

Good to know about the shutter count app. Is there a way to get an accurate count on the 6D?

Ha, that's funny.

There's a website that will tell you the count for $1.79. Sounds crazy, but works like a champ. You connect the camera to your computer and then enable their Active X control on a browser like IE (ugh) or a browser that otherwise support it. They present you a nice certificate with the shutter count suitable for framing (or putting in your for sale ad). I guess no one else has cracked the protocol yet. eoscount.com/

• Options
    @moose135 said:

Not at all - it may one day reach Epic Status:

Here's hoping.
  • Options
    But wait, there's more.

The Shutter Count app — via Apple's App Store — works fine once you disable the 6D WiFi. The top LCD showed the WiFi was off but I still needed to go into the menu and toggle it to "disable." Apparently, WiFi "enabled" overrides the USB connectivity.

And, I'll add, the 600D glass protector fits nicely on the 6D — pretty trick except for the "phony" logo.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins

shutter counts should be free !