Options

Linville Falls

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

These falls feed the infamous Linville Gorge. The people seen directly above the falls give you a sense of scale of the massive rock cliffs.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

That's awesome, Tom. Beautiful location and comp. Those people sure do give you the grand scale of the gorge. Great shot.

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Hey, I've been there! Well done, Tom. It really is a beautiful area, isn't it?

• Options
    mcamannmcamann Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins

Oh my goodness. That is beautiful. I hiked parts of the Linville Gorge in mid-November in 1993 I think. Some cool stories from that trip.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator

Well composed shot of a beautiful scene. What's not to like?

• Options

@kdog said:
    That's awesome, Tom. Beautiful location and comp. Those people sure do give you the grand scale of the gorge. Great shot.

Thanks, Joel, for the visit and nice comments. It's hard to mess up when you've got subjects like this.

Take care,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@moose135 said:
    Hey, I've been there! Well done, Tom. It really is a beautiful area, isn't it?

I would have figured, John, that you visited the area on one of your journeys to the high country. As many times as I've gone to the falls and hiked parts of the gorge, I'm still drawn like a magnet to its beauty and power.

Stay safe, buddy,

Tom

• Options

@mcamann said:
    Oh my goodness. That is beautiful. I hiked parts of the Linville Gorge in mid-November in 1993 I think. Some cool stories from that trip.

Hiking the gorge can't help but produce some lasting stories. Thanks for looking in.

Tom

• Options

@Richard said:
    Well composed shot of a beautiful scene. What's not to like?

I appreciate you taking time to comment, Richard. Remember, I'm going to save you a spot and a rocker on my porch up in the Appalachians.

Take care,

Tom

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Great location and shot!

• Options

@Juano said:
    Great location and shot!

Thanks for the visit, Cristóbal. Merry Christmas to you, my friend.

Stay safe,

Tom

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wow Tom! Majestic! Bravo! Perfect comp! No chance to slow down shutter? Cheers!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Wow Tom! Majestic! Bravo! Perfect comp! No chance to slow down shutter? Cheers!

Thanks for the positive comments, Taz. It means a lot to me. I'm assuming ( and correct me if I'm wrong ) your reference to the shutter speed relates to the appearance of the water flow of the falls. I shot several exposures of this scene and those that presented the flow in a more silky/milky look....as is often the preferred fashion.... did not impart the sense of power in the falls that this shot does.

Merry Christmas, my friend,

Tom

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins

Love the scene, and high angle shot! :thumb :#

Don

Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options

@DonRicklin said:
    Love the scene, and high angle shot! :thumb :#

Don

Thanks, Don. It's great to hear from you. The State people provide a number of dedicated viewing spots of the falls. None of them offer the perspective I most wanted. A little extra effort resulted in a position to give me this shot.

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins

Love this shot!!! The area to the right in the photo looks like a scene from Rambo First Blood.

GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options

@Gary752 said:
    Love this shot!!! The area to the right in the photo looks like a scene from Rambo First Blood.

Thanks for the visit, Gary. That whole stretch along the gorge is some pretty wild territory. My days of really aggressive hiking are dwindling down but I still love to get out into that environment on a regular basis. Lately, I've seen a number of black bears as I pick my way through the forest. While these bears are not the feared Grizzlies or Browns, they can be very aggressive....particularly if there are young ones around.

Tom

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Wow. Beautiful place, beautiful shot.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Wow. Beautiful place, beautiful shot.

Thanks for looking in, Don. Please keep those great desert shots coming our way.

Take care,

Tom

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins

Just saw this...
    Very majestic view Tom...nice!

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options

@Earache said:
    Just saw this...
    Very majestic view Tom...nice!

Thanks, Eric. It's a great hike through the forest to get to these falls and, as you say, you're rewarded with a majestic view. I hope all is well for you.

Take care,

Tom