California Wetlands

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Made few trips to Central Valley Wetlands. This is the season for migratory birds. Didn't get many dynamic shots that I wanted but did capture my Phirst Pheasant! They are way to shy to have a real chance....

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Wow, wow, wow! You have some awesome shots here. My favorites are # 6 and 7.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

Nice series! I think I recognize that tree. Was that in Merced? If so, let me know when you're there again. I live about 15 minutes away and would love to put a face to a name!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Thanks so much Denise! I am cheered!

Sure Mike! Yes that is Merced! Way to recognize that tree! Will ping you....cheers!

edited December 23, 2016

Wonderful Mike! That is a killer shot!

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Stumblebum said:
    11)

Just took another look... #11 is exquisite. It's almost as if the birds were posing for you!

• mcamannmcamann Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins

Wow! These are exquisite.

Thanks Denise! Can't say that enough!! The birds were nice....they didn't take off! ;o)

Thanks Mcamann!! Greatly appreciate kind comment!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

What wonderful light you got! Great variety of subjects, including that shy pheasant.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

@David_S85 said:
    What wonderful light you got! Great variety of subjects, including that shy pheasant.

Thanks David! Golden hour is awesome and at that time birds tend to mellow out and lower guard just a tad.....seem more focused on feeding......so its a win-win for us!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours!

• halconhalcon Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins

These are some nice shots but it would be nice if you identified the birds.

Thanks Halcon. The white birds are cackling geese, color full one is Pheasant, the yellow necked one is Meadow Lark, The blue one is Great Blue Heron. the white one with yellow beak is Giant Egret, Hawk is Red Tailed hawk.....not sure about others.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great set!!! So sorry to hear you didn't get many dynamic shots, LOL. I should have such a bad day ;) . #7 is fantastic. #17 is a redwing blackbird.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Thanks kindly Phil! Can't say that enough!

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Taz, you did Merced proud! I've never seen a Pheasant there - great catch. These are all wonderful shots with perfect sundown lighting. I'm afraid jealousy has raised it's ugly green head in my house! And for the record - I'm about 2'1/2 hours away from the Merced reserves - a ping my way would be great too!!

Thanks for the kind words Jo! I had never seen Pheasants there before either but have seen them twice, with large groups. They of course take off right away but this particular one gave me few moments.....
    I would love to shoot will you....there is still time early next year, supposedly peak, so maybe we should all get together one day and give it a try!
    Happy New Year to you!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

Simply beautiful series. Makes me want to head out and get some nature shots.

Steve

Website

Thanks Steve! Appreciate kind comment very much! Happy New Year to you!
    These places are not that far from you......
    If need any info, let me know!
    Cheers!

@Stumblebum said:
    Thanks for the kind words Jo! I had never seen Pheasants there before either but have seen them twice, with large groups. They of course take off right away but this particular one gave me few moments.....
    I would love to shoot will you....there is still time early next year, supposedly peak, so maybe we should all get together one day and give it a try!
    Happy New Year to you!

I've never seen Pheasants in all of my years going there. Going to try and get out there this week.

BTW, #9 is a White-faced Ibis.

Mike and Jo.....Pheseant is from San Luis Wildlife Refuge....since both refuges are less than 20 minutes apart....I combined them....but just recalled that shot....I never go to just one of these when I go.....they are that close by

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

I always do Merced Waterfowl, San Luis Waterfowl and San Luis Tule Elk when I trek to the valley. Can't go there and ignore any one of them!

@Stumblebum said:
    Mike and Jo.....Pheseant is from San Luis Wildlife Refuge....since both refuges are less than 20 minutes apart....I combined them....but just recalled that shot....I never go to just one of these when I go.....they are that close by

Ah, that makes sense....sort of. When I was working, I worked in Los Banos. I would frequently stop at the San Luis Complex on the way in and/or home. Never saw Pheasants there either, but I went there for the Tule Elk.

Since you're not "local" I would have done the same thing. Go to both!

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Thanks Steve! Appreciate kind comment very much! Happy New Year to you!
    These places are not that far from you......
    If need any info, let me know!
    Cheers!

There are a few choice wetlands in the area, including a very big one heading up towards Sac, however time is what I lack. Last year I tried to make some time for some "fun" photography, but it didn't work out. Maybe this year will be different :p and I'll be able to take more than just work photos.

Steve

Website

Mike, Jo, Steve - I think my Pheasant spotting recipe is to go on weekday (I had time off at tend of the year) and early afternoon......it was just me and maybe 1 or 2 cars.....only once did I get a chance to shoot....at other times they noticed the car and males flew off and hid......and females were relying on camouflage. I tried to get close to them and they ran off as well.

So if you go on a day when there are dozens of car, you have to assume there is no opportunity for us to surprise them as car ahead of you would have cleared them out.....
    One time I waited for HALF hour hoping they would come back out of hiding and consider silence to be normal, but they are obviously smarter than I give them credit for and never came back out....

Hope you score!

• PhotoGuy1PhotoGuy1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Impressive, reminds me of a few places I've not been to in some time. Especially these days to hear the words 'wetlands' and 'California' in the same sentence is tough to imagine. Well hopefully the rain we are getting this week will help out.

Thanks Photoguy! Hope you get out.... These Wildlife refuges have their on wells, so they maintain the seasonal wetlands! Rains do help, and this weekend will be a soaker! Cheers!

• Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins

Easily among the very finest series of nature photos I've seen. From your thoughtful compositions, to your control of light, these are really sensational.

Tony

Thanks so much Tony!

• TonyVanSchoorTonyVanSchoor Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    The first photo with the three Ross's Geese is Great! Here in Maryland we will be lucky to see half a dozen throughout the state! You Get three together in one shot!!!! Love It!

Thanks Tony! Lucky enough that they come here every year and in thousands!