Options

North Carolina Outer Banks

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

The Outer Banks are a series of barrier islands along the North Carolina coast - they include places like Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, and Cape Hatteras. I've recently spent two 4-day weekends there, one in November, and then again this weekend for the New Year holiday.

1 - Bodie Island Light House - this was shot in November, the weekend of the "Super Moon", with the moon out.

2 - It was hella windy that weekend!

3 - Cape Hatteras Light

4 - Super Moon rising over Jennette's Pier in Nags Head

6 - Jennettes Pier - this fishing pier is now part of the North Carolina Aquarium, and extends 1,000 feet out into the Atlantic

7 - Pelican hanging out at the pier. I got within 4 feet or so of him (her?) and he just sat there!

8 - Bodie Island Light House this weekend, with no Moon - you can see the difference in the number of visible stars!

9 - Last sunrise of 2016 in Nags Head

10 - Oregon Inlet Bridge in the Hatteras National Seashore

The Bodie Island Light has an unusual light, which makes it perfect for night/star photography. Unlike most light houses, where the light continually rotates, the Bodie light has a 30 second cycle where it illuminates for 2 1/2 seconds, goes out for 2 1/2 seconds, illuminates again for 2 1/2 seconds, then is out for 22 1/2 seconds. To avoid motion in the stars, I usually use a shutter speed in the range of 15 - 20 seconds, so that long dark period in the cycle is perfect - trip the shutter just as the light is going out, and leave it open while the light is off, so I get some light, but it's not blown out. I do need to get back out there when the Milky Way is visible, I've seen some cool shots with the lighthouse and the Milky Way.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator

Beautiful photos and great info on shooting the lighthouses. We're visiting many of those spots (hopefully) this summer.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very nice work!

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Good stuff, John. Your night work, as usual, really stands out.

See you,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    Beautiful photos and great info on shooting the lighthouses. We're visiting many of those spots (hopefully) this summer.

Thank you, David! I've been out that way a few times, let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to help you out.

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Very nice work!

Thank you, Taz!

• Options

@black mamba said:
    Good stuff, John. Your night work, as usual, really stands out.

See you,

Tom

Thanks, Tom, I really appreciate it. I got my Rolex tickets in the mail today - it's getting close!

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

All very nice, Moose. That supermoon shot is sweet!

• Options

@moose135 said:
    Thank you, David! I've been out that way a few times, let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to help you out.

O.T. Question:
    Actually, yes. Do you know anything about shooting the wild horses on the lower Outer Banks?

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2017

@David_S85 said:
    O.T. Question:
    Actually, yes. Do you know anything about shooting the wild horses on the lower Outer Banks?

Not too much - on Currituck Island, the northern part of the Outer Banks, I saw a number of places that offer tours - they generally have pickup type trucks with open air seats mounted in the back that will take you on to the dunes to see the horses.

• Options

Thanks!

My Smugmug
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

These are all awesome; especially the light house shots. Quite the variety with color and light. I like the movement in the windmills in #6.

• Options

Thank you, AnnaMaria!