Options

Possible to combine stretchy width and fixed size on same page?

bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins

I think it would be nice to have a big picture that goes all over the top of the page, independent of the browser size. But below I have a text box, and for maximum readability it shouldn't be too wide. The ideal is a fixed size. But is this an impossible combination?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator

@bokehlover71 said:
    I think it would be nice to have a big picture that goes all over the top of the page, independent of the browser size. But below I have a text box, and for maximum readability it shouldn't be too wide. The ideal is a fixed size. But is this an impossible combination?

You should be able to specify a width for the text box. Click the dimensions icon for the text box and adjust the container width.

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,010 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2017

From what I remember the width changes in a widget triangle from % to px whether stretchy or static
    width is checked in layout. Is this still true?
    I think that means a static width has to be set in CSS for the widget if the page is stretchy.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options

@denisegoldberg said:
    You should be able to specify a width for the text box. Click the dimensions icon for the text box and adjust the container width.

If a page has a fixed size, I can enter a pixel width for a text box. But if the page layout is stretchy, I can only enter the text box size in percent.

• Options

@bokehlover71 said:

@denisegoldberg said:

If a page has a fixed size, I can enter a pixel width for a text box. But if the page layout is stretchy, I can only enter the text box size in percent.

See my post before this one.

• Options

@Allen said:
    See my post before this one.

Thanks, that's exactly what I mean. But how can I use CSS for this? I am not very experienced in web design.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2017

When logged in go into customize on top menu.
    Customize > Content and Design
    In the right flyout.
    Whatever the page is click "+ Make This ... Custom"
    If it is a page it probably already has "Just This Page" highlighted.

Also whatever type of page is highlighted in flyout, folder, gallery or page, any change you make will
    apply to every one of those types of your site. So it's very important to make the page, folder, gallery
    independent (stand alone) and not apply your changes to, example, "all galleries".
    So make sure "Just This ...." is highlighted.

From that flyout you can drag out to the page different widgets like a text box or html box
    from under the "Add Content Blocks" section. Scroll down and see all the things you can add.
    HTML & CSS is at the very bottom.

Drag a CSS box/widget out to the page and place it just above your footer. This is where you will add any
    CSS applying to just this page. (The word "page" is generic and is whatever you're looking at, a folder, gallery or page.)

The widget name used in CSS can be found using "Inspect Element" which some here can help you find it.
    Example to put in CSS.
    .sm-page-widget-1234567 {width: 600px; margin: 0 auto}
    The auto R/L margin will center the widget on the page.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2017

Thank you very much! I will try this out.