Flash questions.

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited January 21, 2006 in Cameras
Hello there...

I have a EOS 350D and a few different lenses. A Sigma 75-300 mm, A allround lens Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, and a Canon 50mm f1.8 and the crapy 18-55 mm kit lens.

I now been thinking of adding some stuff to my bag. I have been thinking of a flash. I have almost never used a external flash before. Just the build in. And I dont like it at all. All pictures getting toooo overexposed, often. When I take macros and so. Will it be better with a external flash in the hot shoe? And will I get more DOF when shooting macro with flash then without?

Is there "build in flash" manual on the net somewhere?

How long lifetime to a flash have?
is it hard to learn to use a flash?
Please recomend me a flash. :-)

Thats all for now!
Thanks!

Comments

• Back WindowBack Window Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    i know what your saying. I also have the 350D and actually same sigma lens as u. I JUST got my flash. I got the 430EX I did take a look at the 530 or w/e it is. I figured the 430 is good for me b/c im not really going to use the slave function. Slave is a thing were if you have more than one flashes set up. and a master flash on the camera slave tells the other flashes to deploy. The flash is a HUGE difference between the built in one. I got mine less than a week ago, and its pretty easy to use. Just took some time with the manual to fine tune everything or if you want it the easy way set it to auto and it will do the focal length mm by its self, awesome flash.

Just making sure that you know, the speedlite series are the only digital auto flashes that will work with the EOS series. You can buy the 430EX for a fairly good price at B&H. There is also a macro flash, Macro Flash for EOS series
    and
    @nd Macro Flash

there is also a few DVD's and books out dedicated just to flashes.
    It's weird that photographers spend years or even a whole lifetime, trying to capture moments that added together, don't even amount to a couple of hours.
    James Lalropui Keivomhttp://www.Backwindowproductions.com/bwp
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 15, 2006
    Great information about EOS flash systems can be found here - http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

The builtin flash in the 10D, 20D, 300D, etc should take pretty well exposed photgraphs - I use the flash on the 20D for fill flash quite frequently in Av mode.

Are you shooting in Av or Tv or manual, as you shoud be? Or just in landscape, portrait or other automatic modes??

Have you been to the Canonusa.com website? The manual for the 350xt as a pdf file can be found here -

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=DownloadDetailAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=11154
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Shall I get the sigma super dg 500 flash or the canon 550ex? I dont like the price at the 550ex. Its a bit hight. The sigma have a good price.

Btw.. I shoot always manual when I have time. AV wheni care about dof, and want some auto, without thinking.
  • PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    I'd give the 430EX a try first. I use the 550EX and it is a beast on my 20D - I couldn't imagine how big it would be on a 350D.

The 430EX seems to be the best flash buy out there right now - it has decent power and is a small size for a low price.
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    is the 550 to large for 350d? ;) been thinking of getting that one... hmm

this is harder then buying a car.
    edited January 20, 2006
    Viking wrote:
    is the 550 to large for 350d? ;) been thinking of getting that one... hmm

this is harder then buying a car.

No - it isn't too large for a 350D - it fits. It is just a big flash that would seem ginormous on a 350D. Just pull the trigger on something - the great thing about camera equipment (esepcially compared to cars) is that all of it holds its value very well.
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Not too big. I shot the Sigma Super on my 350D, which is a BIG flash, but instead of looking silly, it looks imposing ;)
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
    edited January 20, 2006
    HeldDown wrote:
    instead of looking silly, it looks imposing ;)

rolleyes1.gifthat's a good way to look at it. Darth Flash.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Poindexter wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifthat's a good way to look at it. Darth Flash.

spring for the 580 it is a flash that you can stay with for a longggg time to comethumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    spring for the 580 it is a flash that you can stay with for a longggg time to comethumb.gif

It's big and way expensive, but very powerful. But a 550EX will likely do you as well and if you can still find one it'll be less expensive.

If you're on a budget the 420EX (still available last I checked) is a great buy.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com