Options

Digital Video Camera Needed

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited November 30, 2010 in Video
So - we may be getting a digital video camera. However, we have no idea what to get. This is more for getting great vids of the daughter, including when she is at her gymnastics meets.

We are not necessarily going on the cheap side on this, and certainly will not be dropping $5000.00.

What is recommended? :ear:ear:ear

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited November 12, 2010
    Something like a Canon HV20? Or better than that?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Something like a Canon HV20? Or better than that?
    Hey Ian -

Well that would be fine. I guess I am just not sure what makes that good (or great), and what is out there that is better (and what makes it better).

I see the Sony NEX- VG10 and say, "Wow, that's a great camera with interchangeable lenses." But, it has great price, too. Even then, I am not sure if the images/features are better (besides the possible lenses) than the Canon.

The video cameras all seem to be HD, and use SDHC cards. Does it then come down to usability?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    I've owned the HV20 before and it's been adequate for my needs. More than anything, I was trying to find what you were looking for wrt features and what not.

The Sony is a pretty good camera as well although it's pretty big. Would you be inclined to take it or leave it behind given it's size?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I've owned the HV20 before and it's been adequate for my needs. More than anything, I was trying to find what you were looking for wrt features and what not.

The Sony is a pretty good camera as well although it's pretty big. Would you be inclined to take it or leave it behind given it's size?
    That Sony was merely just used as an example. I am thinking that it would be too big to take and use frequently.

That said - the HV20-sized cameras would probably be best. Feature-wsise we would not need a lot - great stabilization, relatively long battery life, and great image quality. It looks like most cameras shoot HD-sized videos now. Some seem to have internal storage as well. How much video, time-wise, can be stored on an 16GB SDHC card?
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2010
    I guess the answer is "it depends". It depends on the resolution you choose but between 45 minutes or so and 2 hours ish.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2010
    I would look for 1080p resolution at at-least-30fps. You may want slow-motion video for gymnastics. I think Canon makes video cams that take EF lenses, but that may just be the pro ones.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2010
    Anything needed to playback HD on the Mac (or any other PC/Laptop)? If I store the HD video on SmugMug, will the in-laws be able to view that on their laptop (sorry I do not know the brand/model right at this moment).

I have heard people trying to playbaclk HD video on their MacBooks and they are getting stuttering playback or, in the case of the Air, not able to view at all due to the Air's screen size.