Underbelly...

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited January 20, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

...of an overpass

Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

Very interesting and good lighting too! Took me a moment to notice the one road sign, but that gives it scale.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This type of overpass always made me nervous to go on when I lived in S. California. Mainly because I remember the several earthquakes when I lived there, that flattened them out like a pancake. Especially the one in Oakland I believe it was. However, your perspective on this shot is wonderful and kudos for your bravery to get the shot!

• Options

@David_S85 said:
    Very interesting and good lighting too! Took me a moment to notice the one road sign, but that gives it scale.

Thanks David! It was a fun shoot... looking for the best angles to, as you say, make it interesting!

Here's looking in the other direction...

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options

@JAG said:
    This type of overpass always made me nervous to go on when I lived in S. California. Mainly because I remember the several earthquakes when I lived there, that flattened them out like a pancake. Especially the one in Oakland I believe it was. However, your perspective on this shot is wonderful and kudos for your bravery to get the shot!

Thanks Joyce! Yes, the pancaked freeways in those quakes was a terrible visual at the time...
    Haha! Brave, I am not... there was a parking lot... but, come to think of it, I did almost get run-over as I stumbled around the parking lot looking up through the viewfinder. lol!

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

I like #1; reminds me of when I first got into CA in the 70s, I was impressed with the freeway system (still am)

Rags
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Eric,

Well done! I love the first one. Great light and composition.

• Options

@torags said:
    I like #1; reminds me of when I first got into CA in the 70s, I was impressed with the freeway system (still am)

Structural concrete was invented by the Romans... I think... but made impressive and modern in California for sure - thanks Rags.

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options

@Juano said:
    Eric,

Well done! I love the first one. Great light and composition.

Thanks and cheers Cristóbal!
    The light sources are a mix of the golden reflected, and the grayish sky... it did work well, I was happy!

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2017

This concrete and Roman concrete are very far apart structurally, Eric. Romans didn't have steel for starters.

I like the light in no 1.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata