Options

Site Search

PhilCorleyPhotoPhilCorleyPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Does the search on the site when searching pages, search the text on the page (such as in Text or HTML Blocks) ?

I am trying to create my blog on SM and being able to search the page content is important, but I only seem to get it to work with keywords on the page, not any text on the page - so I am hoping I am missing something, otherwise search is very lacking :neutral:

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• Options
    VivPixVivPix Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins

Hi PhilCorleyPhoto,

The 'Search' feature will only search for keywords that have been added to the photos. Here's how you can add a 'Search' box to your site... http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/98690?b_id=1644

Thanks,

Vivian
    SmugMug Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins

I added a word to search that is not a keyword and it found 2193 images that has that word in a caption.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    VivPixVivPix Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins

Hi Allen,

Your search result from a word instead of a keyword may have found images if you had 'Filename Keywording' enabled.
    When you enable 'Filename Keywording' in your Account Settings, it will allow SmugMug to automatically extract keywords from your filenames.

You can get to that setting by going to Account Settings > Me > Search > Filename Keywording, set to ON >Save and Exit.

Please see this screenshot, taken from our Help Page about using keywords... https://monosnap.com/file/PsSgCqPDSI6wQNfc6YJTmNRSLNfx7o
    Here is that entire Help Page (scroll down to see the part about keywords)... http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93290?b_id=1644

Thanks,

Vivian
    SmugMug Hero
  • Options

From what I can tell. the search searches keywords, titles and captions - but nothing else in the page content (e.g., Text of HTML blocks). Is this right?

• Options

I do not have filename keywording activated, hate it, created all kinds of junk I had to remove.

I just grabbed another word, not a keyword or part of one, and found 88 photos.
    That was a word only in gallery description and captions.

Another word found 44 photos, some in captions and rest in gallery title.

Search does find words in gallery titles and descriptions and photo captions that have nothing to so with keywords.

• Options

It would be good to have it also search content on the pages - feature request ?

Also, is the text in content blocks indexed by the search engines (such as google) ?

• Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2017

@PhilCorleyPhoto said:
    From what I can tell. the search searches keywords, titles and captions - but nothing else in the page content (e.g., Text of HTML blocks). Is this right?

That mostly matches what I see, but if you set the search to look at galleries, then gallery descriptions appear to be searched as well.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options

Given that page descriptions are also searched, is there a limit to the amount of text you can put in a page's description field - and is it all searched or does it only search the first xxx characters?

One way of getting page search to work would be to duplicate the page's text into the description field - assuming it is all indexed

Phil

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2017

Pages don't have descriptions like galleries. They have meta descriptions, which are included in the html for search engines, but not included on the page or in smugmug search results. Only page names are searchable, but visitors need to select "pages" from search results... they won't come up automatically so few visitors will ever find them.

Another option would be a custom google search box, but unfortunately that requires javascript so it's not supported on smugmug. I don't think you'll find a way to do what you want.

Dave

• Options

From my testing, the page's meta descriptions are being searched by the SM search. On my blog index page I have added a search block, set it to search the blog folder and added the each blog page's text to the page's description. The search will then return any blog page that matches the text entered to the search box :smile:

My question still is, is the page's description limited to the number of characters it can hold - and index?

• Options
    edited February 3, 2017

I picked a word on my Guestbook "page" and searched for it. It showed up as a gallery not a page?
    Tried another word, same results. Both words are in a HTML widget.
    That makes no sense. It is not a galley but a page.

• Options

Mine are found as "Pages" - this is searching against the Page Description field. The text in Text Blocks isn't being searched - not tried HTML blocks yet

• Options

None of these below search box will remain highlighted after picking?
    Photos | Videos | Galleries | Folders | Pages

• Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins

@PhilCorleyPhoto said:
    Mine are found as "Pages" - this is searching against the Page Description field. The text in Text Blocks isn't being searched - not tried HTML blocks yet

Interesting. I did some testing and it didn't work, but all the words I tested were in the second paragraph of a page description. It seems words in the first paragraph do get found. I don't know if it's a character limit or if a line break threw it off.

Dave