Options

Keywords + Google images

Ian HIan H Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins

I have noticed that google is not picking up my images as it should. Am i right in thinking google will penalise the site for hiding the keywords from the images?

Comments

• Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

Google will not penalize the images. Unfortunately how google indexes sites is a giant big black hole. We do our best to push all the images to all searchbots and make sure they get crawled ... and in fact, most of your photos do get crawled every day, however that doesn't always mean that google decides they're "important" enough to be indexed. That decision goes far beyond whether or not keywords are displaced. The biggest factor is inbound links. If you'd like to be sure your photos are getting indexed, I'd recommend making sure that you have links pointing to them outside of your site: be it from blog posts, here on dgrin, or other locations

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    Kevin PaulKevin Paul Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins

@leftquark said:
    If you'd like to be sure your photos are getting indexed, I'd recommend making sure that you have links pointing to them outside of your site: be it from blog posts, here on dgrin, or other locations

So I just post a link to my photo's from here?

Also random google question, when I search my studio name on Google it points to a beautiful landscape on my page for my feature on the left there. Problem is, I am a portrait photographer not a landscape guy. This is the second time. Last time I pulled the landscape photo and now it has been replaced with another landscape one from my site. Any idea how to change that?

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

@Kevin Paul said:
    So I just post a link to my photo's from here?

Or posting it to your Facebook page.

@Kevin Paul said:

Also random google question, when I search my studio name on Google it points to a beautiful landscape on my page for my feature on the left there. Problem is, I am a portrait photographer not a landscape guy. This is the second time. Last time I pulled the landscape photo and now it has been replaced with another landscape one from my site. Any idea how to change that?

I typed in your studio name and I see a picture and your Google Map on the right, correct? That is Google and not SmugMug. Looks like you posted several pictures to your Google account and Google is just picking one.