Options

*Challenge 21: Shem Creek by ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Is this too bright? I have done a few things to it from another thread, contrast, brightness and saturation, when I work intensely, I feel like I am painting the photograph here and there, so it is a step by step process. My intention was to brighten the photograph a bit and bring the boat out so it was a bigger player.

8324032-L.jpg

I do want to say that this was not a fun experience because of the weather, not exhilerating, wet sticky wind. I was using the tripod all the time, with the release remote, all new to me. Traffic was going by, bicyclists had the choice of getting me to hear them, or running me down along with my camera bag, or getting killed by the traffic on the bridge themselves. When the weather is too bad for the shrimp boats, it is not nice weather.

All told, I learned that for landscape shooting outside, I only had about an hour of good shooting color after sunset. The other efforts could be trashed, IMO. Maybe on a better night the window would have been a bit better, but this is what I found out and what I will be thinking of when I go out again. If I had been near a place such as that little bar on the Isle of Palms, I could have gone in there to get a few shots. As it was I used almost all of one 512mb card, deleted many of those before uploading, and half were past that first hour and unusable.

Also my computer is still not optimal, I have just logged back on, and off, and on. I am not putting raw files on at this point. Last night, I had enough on my mind. I ended up locking my keys in the car when I got home, no spare, but that was an example of how focused on the photography I was, and how draining the shoot was. g

This is my original favorite:

A compromise?
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Is this too bright? I have done a few things to it from another thread, contrast, brightness and saturation, when I work intensely, I feel like I am painting the photograph here and there, so it is a step by step process. My intention was to brighten the photograph a bit and bring the boat out so it was a bigger player.

8324032-S.jpg

Ginger,
    I think this one is the best. It's not too bright the lights are great and it still has lots of dark range. It has "pop" compared to the others.
    Only my opinion of course, but I think it's super.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    ginger_55 wrote:

8324032-S.jpg

Ginger,
    I think this one is the best. It's not too bright the lights are great and it still has lots of dark range. It has "pop" compared to the others.
    Only my opinion of course, but I think it's super.
    Snappy, thanks for the comment. Uh, which one is it? There is the top, middle and bottom version. I think it must be the top one from what I can tell from rereading your comment. Yes, it does have more pop. I guess I just have to get used to the "pop", smile.

It looks great in the smaller version that you have, but I don't know which one it is, rolleyes1.gif

Just got my keys back from the locksmith.

ginger

You know, I felt quite guilty using that view of Shem Creek. Everyone and their uncle/aunt takes photos there, including the TV cameras. So it was kind of a "save" for emergency shot.

However, I no longer feel guilty. That place can have great "sunset" shots, not into the sun, but the effects on the back half after and before the sunset. I have never seen it photographed like I did, a crummy, grey, windy night. It is usually bright and beautiful.

I was thinking how much I hate that "cliche", and how I photographed it that way, worked it up that way, and that has always been my advice. To photograph something you love, like you love it, and if you hate it, to photograph it that way. I did, and I am proud of my result. It is not the post card that I have always seen.

However, off my soap box, which one do you like, Snappy???

ginger
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    Wow, thanks for more childhood memories, Ginger. I can still smell Shem Creek when I think back to those days.

I like the top, brighter version. But my favorite part of it is the boat in the water, and I get distracted by the neon and the other very bright lights. Maybe you could try toning them down, just a little not much, while keeping everything else bright.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2004
    Is this better, OK? ginger, just toned down a bit of the left side of the creek
    8328705-L.jpg

version # 13
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    I see what you mean about the sign turning grey, but I only noticed it because you mentioned it. I personally like #13 the best, but that's just me. It looks more natural to my eye.

Whichever version you finally go with, that sure is a really nice shot you should be proud of! clap.gif
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
    I like the first one
    Ginger,
    The first image is the one I was referring to. But, I like what you have done here. The last one, #13, is very nice. I think toning down the brightness a bit makes it so it does not detract from the boat.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2004
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Spockling, which version of Shem Creek did you post. I like it, it looks like it has more red than the ones I have posted on this thread.

If you see this, please let me know where you got that version, so I can try to find it, or make it.

ginger
    Ginger, it is this one...
    http://gingersnap.smugmug.com/photos/8324032-L.jpg

Found there was too much yellow in the whole image. All I did was clean it up a bit. Try Lynn's color correction tutorial. Should help.
    http://www.providencecliffseniors.com/Jacks/smug.html
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2004
    Then again, same method, moved the eye dropper a smidge
    Amazing what a slight move of an eyedropper can do. Personally, I like this better as it has the old fashioned "grandmotherly" feel. I don't know how it compares to yours Spockling, I can't bring it to this page. Still thanks, I learned some things, here. g

8357478-L.jpg
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Ginger, it is this one...

Found there was too much yellow in the whole image. All I did was clean it up a bit. Try Lynn's color correction tutorial. Should help.
    http://www.providencecliffseniors.com/Jacks/smug.html

I really like your color cast removal/treatment of Ginger's shot, Steve.

Lynne
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    ???????

8474342-L.jpg