Options

Beartooth Highway

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 10, 2017 in Other Cool Shots

Cooke City, Montana, sits just outside the north end of Yellowstone National Park. The Beartooh Highway starts there, dips briefly back in to Wyoming, then back in to Montana as it works its way to Red Lodge, Montana. It's about a 69 mile ride that reaches its peak at the Beartooth Pass....roughly 11,000 feet in elevation.....where this shot was taken. Charles Kuralt once called this the most beautiful road in our nation.
It was early July when I shot this. Some of the lakes seen never thaw out.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Beautiful, Tom! If my schedule works out, I was thinking about taking a road trip up that way later this year. I'll definitely keep this road in mind if I get out that way.

• Options

@moose135 said:
    Beautiful, Tom! If my schedule works out, I was thinking about taking a road trip up that way later this year. I'll definitely keep this road in mind if I get out that way.

I sure hope you make it there, John. It's just an unbelievable experience. If you do get to Yellowstone, plan on a daytrip over to Cody, Wyoming....about a 50 mile ride from the Park's eastern entrance. The Buffalo Bill museum is in Cody and it's worth any effort to get there. Among many of its appeals, it has one of the world's largest gun collections. Mind-blowing !!!

When are we going to see some of your work at the Daytona 24 Hours?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

I'll remember that, Tom! I should have some Daytona pictures up tonight.

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins

Wow! Beautiful colors and great detail. What a LONG mountain range. I'm glad I viewed the full image! This is awesome!

• Options

@Eia said:
    Wow! Beautiful colors and great detail. What a LONG mountain range. I'm glad I viewed the full image! This is awesome!

Thanks, Eia, for the visit and your comments. I'm not known for being short on words but I couldn't make a peep as I absorbed the view when taking this shot. Literally, I was stunned into silence.

Take care,

Tom

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Great capture Tom. The Beartooth is truly one of the most beautiful drives in the country. Always best to check with MT or Wy Dot before heading out, That highway has a habit of closing anytime during the normal season due to heavy snows. I agree 100% about the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@roaddog52 said:
    Great capture Tom. The Beartooth is truly one of the most beautiful drives in the country. Always best to check with MT or Wy Dot before heading out, That highway has a habit of closing anytime during the normal season due to heavy snows. I agree 100% about the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody.

Phil

You're a lucky man, Phil, to have that neck of the woods as part of your stomping grounds when you hit the road on your travels. I always enjoy your postings about your experiences.

See you,

Tom

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful view Tom! What a magnificent sight it must have been to view it in person!! Bravo!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful view Tom! What a magnificent sight it must have been to view it in person!! Bravo!

Hey, guy. I appreciate the comments. Some things we see in life seem to be indelibly imprinted on our brains. That's the case with this scene and myself.

Take care, my friend,

Tom