Image Size and Proof Delay

PhilCorleyPhotoPhilCorleyPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Can someone confirm how this works?

I upload an image; assume I upload at 2,500 pixels wide and enable Proof Delay, when someone purchases a print I can replace the image with a correctly proofed for the print lab image. I think this is right?

So, I upload my images for display - resized to 2,500 pixels, sharpened, etc. but this limits the image sizes people can purchase. I think?

Given some of my images are best large and the image files are 14,000 pixels wide this is not a good situation. So I am assuming I have to upload the full size images (roughly 50mb files) to simply allow the largest print options to be available.

Ideally for me, is to upload a smaller file (sharpened for web viewing etc.), allow big prints to be ordered and replace the image in the Proof Delay.

Is this possible - or am I missing something simple?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited February 11, 2017

With Proof Delay you can replace the photo with a better image for printing, but the photo uploaded for display needs to meet the size requirements for printing.

From the help page Resolution requirements for printing:

To help customers, SmugMug's shopping cart only shows a print size if the original image meets our minimum resolution requirements for that size. Keep in mind that these are minimums. Please read "Recommended Settings," below.​​

• PhilCorleyPhotoPhilCorleyPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins

Thought so. Related question; how are people sharpening their full-sized JPEGs - I am use to resize, then sharpen for the Web; are people treating their output sharpening differently as there is no resize involved ?

Thanks

Phil

Or - thinking about this - given SM downsides (and I assume sharpen) the originals for the screen display size, is there any need to output sharpen the originals - as SM will sort it all out ?

Phil

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

Smugmug never touches your uploaded photos so whatever you uploaded is what is printed.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog

Agree - but I assume SM downsizes and sharpens images for display - and the print labs sharpen for print; so if I am right there is no need to sharpen the images when uploading ?

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited February 11, 2017

You can upload full resolution images and limit what is displayed via the "Max Display Size" setting in your gallery settings. This will enable the full resolution images to stay safe but also go to the print lab; your visitors see the lower resolution images. SmugMug does apply some small amount of sharpening to the display sizes.

If you enable color correction in your pricelist, some color correction and print sharpening will be performed. If it's disabled, the exact photo you upload will be printed.

You can also do as you describe: enable proof delay and then upload a specific print sharpened image that is sent to the lab. Keep in mind that when you replace a photo during proof delay, it replaces the photo on SmugMug as well. After the photo is sent to the lab, you'll want to put the web sharpened version back. In other words, a photo replaced during Proof Delay is not a one time photo sent just to the lab.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations

@leftquark said:
    ... Keep in mind that when you replace a photo during proof delay, it replaces the photo on SmugMug as well. After the photo is sent to the lab, you'll want to put the web sharpened version back. In other words, a photo replaced during Proof Delay is not a one time photo sent just to the lab.

Ah, that is a bit of a gotta, I would have expected it to be for the print only. Will need to think that through as it could get a bit messy. Oh well :smiley: