Options

Pollution

BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator

I love industrial photography! Good subject. Suggestion: this image could benefit from raising the gamma and stretching the histogram a bit plus some added contrast.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

@David_S85 said:
    I love industrial photography! Good subject. Suggestion: this image could benefit from raising the gamma and stretching the histogram a bit plus some added contrast.

Thanks! I am still learning how to do black and white digital conversions (I still shoot a lot of B&W film). I am looking for ideas to help make the image "pop" a little.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator

David's advice is good. If you look at the histogram of the image, there's nothing at all above 188 on the gray scale. That means you have no real whites in the image, and the contrast is compressed into a narrower range than necessary. You can use a simple curve adjustment to lower the white point first, then pull the shadows down a bit to further increase the contrast. If you want to push it even farther, you could duplicate the curve layer and put the new one into one of the overlay blending modes (soft light looks pretty good here), then adjust the opacity to taste.

• Options

Stretched out histogram.

Using NIK Sinister HDR filter in Photoshop

I want the shot to have a sort of ominous feeling to it.

Thanks David and Richard for your advice. I have a thick skin. I just retired and I am just now trying to learn Photoshop and Light Room in a serious manner.

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator

The re-edited two are better. I prefer the first. In the second, the whites are very badly blown out. Doesn't look like a good filter to use in this case, or maybe the settings went too far.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky