Sunday - nothing's going on - throw on some makeup honey!

PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited January 18, 2006 in People
My girlfriend bought me a Canon EF-S 60mm as a finishing Xmas gift and to also help me out with the last day of Canon rebates :lust

Last night we decided to give it a test run for portaits (which I haven't really done before):

52631057-L.jpg

52644456-L.jpg

52631061-L.jpg

52644450-L.jpg

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    I like the first one the best.

Why does it look like you used a flash on all of them, yet there is no catch-light in her eyes on the 2nd and 4th? I think it looks erie without one. Also, number 2 is too harsh or direct for me... just not flattering.

BTW, cute girlfriend!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • PoindexterPoindexter Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Thanks Jim. I haven't had much experience shooting people indoors. If I was shooting people indoors it was typically in automatic mode with a P&S - more about the moment than the picture.

The second is definitely a bit more in your face (not my favorite either), but for some reason the brown in her eyes came out much better in that one ne_nau.gif

The healing brush in PS took care of the flash in #2 & #4. Yes, the flash fired on every shot.
    edited January 17, 2006
    I wouldn't have started this thread if I wasn't looking for advice on shooting - I'm a big boy, and can take the criticisms too ;)

So please folks - help me work to get better with my photography!

Jim - thanks again :)
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Poindexter wrote:
    The healing brush in PS took care of the flash in #2 & #4. Yes, the flash fired on every shot.

Well, don't do that! :D Removing the reflections in eyes makes the subject look unnatural. It is very distracting from the overall image.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Well, don't do that! :D Removing the reflections in eyes makes the subject look unnatural. It is very distracting from the overall image.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Catch-lights are the magic of portraits.... you ALWAYS want them.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    The first one is a good one. The others seem like she was too tense or trying too hard for the pose.

In terms of picture-taking tips it looks like you have just a tad too much flash. Drop back 1/3 or 2/3 stops in flash compensation. The crops in #2 and #4 are too tight.

Erich
    edited January 18, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    The first one is a good one. The others seem like she was too tense or trying too hard for the pose.

In terms of picture-taking tips it looks like you have just a tad too much flash. Drop back 1/3 or 2/3 stops in flash compensation. The crops in #2 and #4 are too tight.

Erich

Thanks Erich. She was only posing in 1 and 3 - the rest were just me shooting away.

I am using the Canon 550EX - how do you change stop compensation?
    edited January 18, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Well, don't do that! :D

Got it lol3.gif