Rolex 24 at Daytona - 2017

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I attended the Rolex 24 at Daytona for the second time this year. I learned a lot last year - around 3am, I had about lost the will to live, and there was still another 12 hours of racing to go! It's an overwhelming barrage of sights, sounds, and smells that pulls you in and keeps you asking for more. Unlike last year, we had rain this time around - what was forecast to be some light showers overnight turned into steady rain - heavy at times - from about 8pm Saturday until 9am Sunday. At the end of it, I was tired, a little damp, but had a great time!

1 - Lining up for a practice session on Friday.

2 - Retired NASCAR star Jeff Gordon raced for Wayne Taylor's team. That's Jeff in the sunglasses facing me, the guy with the glasses on the back of his head is current NASCAR driver Austin Dillon - Dillon's grandfather, NASCAR team owner Richard Childress, built the engines for Gordon's team. Austin's brother Ty, also running NASCAR, is immediately to his right, in the grey sweatshirt.

3 - This thing had more buttons, switches, and dials than some airplanes I've flown!

4 - Dealing with mechanical problems in the middle of the night - I heard a lot of familiar Italian cuss words!

5 - Racing in the rain!

6 - After 23 1/2 hours of racing, a "bump and run" for the win...I guess Jeff Gordon taught his teammates a thing or two about his NASCAR days. ;-)

7 - More racing in the rain.

8 - I'm sensing a trend here...

9 - I ended up with a really neat shot of this car last year, and I seemed to find them the whole weekend this year.

10 - On the high banks

11 - Coming through the International Horseshoe in the infield portion of the course.

12 - What a difference a day makes - the first shot is from Friday's practice round, the second is after 24 hours of racing, half of it in the rain.

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Great shots, Moose! I am so jealous - wish I were there. The panning shots of the Turner car are particularly interesting in that the wheels really show good movement, while the car is perfectly in focus. Well done on all.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Thank you so much, Jo! I'd like to get down there one of these days for NASCAR, but I know I won't have the access one gets at the Rolex.

• kd5fexkd5fex Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins

Moose, great shots.

Gallery - http://kd5fex.smugmug.com

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anway" ~ John Wayne
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2017

Sorry I was late in picking up on these, John. I seldom check the Sports sub-forum. Very nice work. I had to laugh at # 3. I learned to fly in a Piper Cub J-3. It had a total of 5 instruments on the control panel. I also understand completely your concerns about making it through the night. After never missing this extravaganza for 15 straight years, I finally called a halt to going. The whole show just became more than my old body could handle.....and I had it easy, a motor home to sleep in and a pit pass courtesy of my friends at Brumos Porsche. If you go next year, I might can get you a pit pass. Brumos sold their dealer complex to the Fields automotive group last year so I may not have that option. I'll check on that.

Take care, buddy,

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Thank you so much, Tom! I really appreciate your kind words.

• mav52mav52 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins

Nice pics

• sallybsallyb Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    Nice. 1 and 9 would be my favourites