Options

Home remedy for power button on 5d2

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Hello guys, power button on my 5 years old 5DMK2 has become very hard to switch on it is almost rock solid and sometimes i just don't turn it off for same reason. I assume my sweat has transferred too much salt in it. Is there any spray or something that i can put in it through button without sending it to workshop, i simply don't want to rely on workshops here, can't risk total damage in hands of non-experienced workshop.

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 7, 2017

Hi Awais,

The Canon 5D Mark II lacks comprehensive weather seals, and the Power Switch is a common failure over time (especially in dusty environments). I suspect that some combination of moisture and dust/grit has gotten into the switch.

If you can source a supply of canned "compressed air" try that first. Use a low angle on the spray tube for the switch. You want to try to dislodge any grit away from and not into the camera body. It may be helpful to try to also move the switch at the same time as spraying the compressed air. (You may need another person to assist.)

https://amazon.com/Dust-Off-Compressed-Duster-Pack-DPSXL/dp/B0025U3TQ0/ref=pd_lpo_229_lp_t_3

(In a pinch you can also try actual compressed air from a diaphragm type air compressor, but never use a piston type compressor which will induce oil into the camera.)

Try multiple times as it may take a bit to loosen.

If that approach doesn't work it may be time to replace the switch. Yes, I would seek out a Canon authorized service center. Start with this page to locate the nearest facility to you.

http://www.canon-europe.com/contact_us/canon_europe_middle_east_and_africa_offices/

In direst of circumstances, this video may be of help to someone with good skills at sensitive electronic equipment repair, but lacking direct experience with this Canon camera model:

https://youtu.be/UOb55J09wbU

(Obviously, slow the video and just disassemble to the point of removing the rear camera cover.)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options

Thanks Ziggy will try these

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins

When I have sticky electronic bits, I have found that Electronic contact cleaner to be extremely effective. It leaves no residue, and won't harm plastics. It dries very quickly so there is nothing to wipe off. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05101-QD-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMLD0

I have used this on headphone switches, car parts, motherboards etc, with no harm. That being said........if this were my camera...I would do this after I have exhausted every other option, just to be sure.

Good luck!

• Options

@cmason said:
    When I have sticky electronic bits, I have found that Electronic contact cleaner to be extremely effective. It leaves no residue, and won't harm plastics. It dries very quickly so there is nothing to wipe off. Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05101-QD-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMLD0

I have used this on headphone switches, car parts, motherboards etc, with no harm. That being said........if this were my camera...I would do this after I have exhausted every other option, just to be sure.

Good luck!

One note about this product, CRC 05101, use in short bursts and beware that the contents can soften and even dissolve paint if used in excess. Years ago I was using this as a chilling spray to diagnose a thermal short in a discrete semiconductor on a circuit board, and some of the contents discharged as a liquid onto the circuit board. The result was a visible white "scarring" of the circuit board. It didn't affect the operation of the board but, it certainly could have affected the board integrity. Another time I noticed that paint on a keyboard could come off with protracted use of the spray.

So, again, just use short bursts and I do suggest protecting painted parts with a low-tack tape before possible overspray.

MSDS for the cleaner: https://www.conncoll.edu/media/website-media/offices/ehs/envhealthdocs/QD_Electronic_Cleaner.pdf

ziggy53
  • Options

Hi guys,
    probably crazy thing to do, i just added few drops of lime scale removing liquid on button and let it dry for few days, now button is smooth as new good to go for next 5 years :smiley:

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2017

Glad it worked for you and I hope that you do get 5 years more service from that camera.

No, I would not recommend any sort of acid or surfactant on or around any electronic device or its buttons/dials
    , ... but it worked so ... what do I know?

ziggy53
  • Options
    stella82stella82 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2017
    @"Awais Yaqub" , great idea! Limescale solution, who knew!? I'll have to bear that in mind! :)
  • Options

;) as i bought it for chrome coating on shower accessories, thought it will be really mild so added few drops in there...

My Gallery