Options

Active Page in Primary Navigation

lauradonialauradonia Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
Hi,

Is there a way to make the active page styles persist when you navigate to folders or galleries on that page?

my site is http://www.lauradoniaphotography.com

For example, if I click on Events, and then a gallery in Events, the active page styles in the menu disappears. I'd like for it to persist for as long as I am in in the Events hierarchy. Is there a way to do this?

thanks!

Laura
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,451 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2017

In order for that to work you need to create a sub-menu for your 'Events' folder. When your adding links, make sure you turn ON 'Include Sub-Links'. If you don't want to display the sub-menu you just created, you can add this to your theme's CSS:

/**
    * Hides Sub-menus but Displays Active Link
    ************************************************/   
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink .yui3-menu-children {
        display: none;
        }   

I do something similar to my 'Article' pages.

• Options

Hi Mike, thanks you so much. I'm not sure this will work for me because as soon as I click into a gallery on the Events page (or other sub pages), then the style on the active menu will disappear right?

thanks! Laura

• Options
  • Options

So, for example - in the Client Galleries section, when i click 'Client Galleries' the active menu style is selected, but then if i click on a Gallery in that page, the style on 'Client Galleries' will go away. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

• Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333

Well that's because when you go into the gallery the client galleries is no longer the active link, you are now in a child of that folder though. The parent links code from here should work for you:

http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Navbar/Emphasize-Active-Page

Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options

Unfortunately, the parent links code doesn't work (i had already tried that and it's currently in my theme CSS, but doesn't seem to help!)

• Options

@lauradonia said:
    So, for example - in the Client Galleries section, when i click 'Client Galleries' the active menu style is selected, but then if i click on a Gallery in that page, the style on 'Client Galleries' will go away. Am I doing something wrong?

thanks!

Like I mentioned earlier, in order for this to work you MUST turn on 'Include Sub-Links':

I did forget to add some code to show the color text. I had it on my theme's CSS, but forgot it was "my" code.

.sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .sm-page-widget-nav-activepage > a, 
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink.sm-page-widget-nav-activepage > a,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink.sm-page-widget-nav-hasactivepage > a,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .yui3-menu-has-children.sm-page-widget-nav-activepage > a,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .yui3-menu-has-children.sm-page-widget-nav-activepage > a.yui3-menu-label::after,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .yui3-menu-has-children.sm-page-widget-nav-hasactivepage > a,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .yui3-menu-has-children.sm-page-widget-nav-hasactivepage > a.yui3-menu-label::after,
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget-nav .sm-page-widget-nav-mobile .sm-page-widget-nav-items .sm-nav-item-toplevel.sm-accordion-item-open > .sm-accordion-item-label {
        border-bottom: 2px solid #43b02a;
        color: #43b02a;
        }   

Then if you want to hide the sub-menus, use this:

/**
    * Hides Sub-menus but Displays Active Link
    ************************************************/   
    .sm-user-ui .sm-page-widget .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink .yui3-menu-children {
        display: none;
        }       

• Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins

It's not absolutely necessary to select "Include Sub-Links". With a lot of subfolders the entire menu might looks ugly long. Try this one:

.sm-page-parentnode-SkRbkx .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(3) a, .sm-page-node-rfXQ8d .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(3) a, .sm-page-parentnode-dWqzVh .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(4) a { color: #43B02A !important; font-weight: 600!important; padding-bottom: 2px; border-bottom: 2px solid #43B02A; }

If you change the sequence of your menu items the above should be rewritten to reflect the change.

• Options

@photoclick said:
    It's not absolutely necessary to select "Include Sub-Links". With a lot of subfolders the entire menu might looks ugly long. Try this one:

.sm-page-parentnode-SkRbkx .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(3) a, .sm-page-node-rfXQ8d .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(3) a, .sm-page-parentnode-dWqzVh .sm-page-widget-13009852 .sm-page-widget-nav-toplink:nth-child(4) a { color: #43B02A !important; font-weight: 600!important; padding-bottom: 2px; border-bottom: 2px solid #43B02A; }

If you change the sequence of your menu items the above should be rewritten to reflect the change.

It does get ugly if you have a lot of sub-links. That's why I added the hiding part. But this works and it's a great solution.

• Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins

oh... I missed the part when you hide all the subs. My bad. I guess both approaches deliver the same result at the end :)

• Options

@photoclick said:

This worked like a charm. Thank you so much. @Mike - thank you for your help also. What i like better about this approach is I don't need to create submenus and update the sublinks every time I had a new gallery or folder as these sections could be pretty fluid.

Thanks you both so much!

Laura