Options

Dgrin Meetups - Europe

2»

Comments

• Options
    Zeus1Zeus1 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I'm following this topic. The idea sounds good. Everything depends on time and availability. Alsace and Colmar are OK. But another opportunity could be the Lot region (Rocamadour, Figeac, St Cirq Lapopie, etc etc.)
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Kind of tourist tour ?
    Who guides us ?
    Local photographers and Smugers ?
    How do we move around ?
    Is there any limit of persons ?
    How long ? Week end may be ...
    :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I was thinking of a weekend - nothing too over the top.
    I use Lonely Planet guides but I guess we look for advice from anyone who's been there before too.
    I tend to be an opportunistic photographer and don't like planning too much in advance :D
    Maybe we could organise a couple of workshops on different topics - or just some "learn together" sessions - but more for fun yeah

Ideas we won't be short on - but first let's see how many people are interested and where - and pick something kind of central to everyone yeah

I think though that we'll have to pick a date fairly in advance to ensure everyone gets cheap flights and we get hotels for reasonable price.

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Zeus1 wrote:
    I'm following this topic. The idea sounds good. Everything depends on time and availability. Alsace and Colmar are OK. But another opportunity could be the Lot region (Rocamadour, Figeac, St Cirq Lapopie, etc etc.)

Rocamadour is really nice but it's 9hrs straight drive without breaks for me - I was there on holidays 2 years back

Let's just see how many people we get and from where and then organise location.

Something close to Netherlands which is pretty is Brugges in Belgium - could be cool too
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    I'm in- I just went to Strasbourg last weekend. I'm about 40 mils from Alsace. Or maybe a bit more. What's the exchange rate for the kilometer vs. the mile right now?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2008
    Hello Justiceiro clap.gifclap
    How are you my friend ? mwink.gif
    I was going to send this link to you but you were here already.
    How's the Portuguese ?rolleyes1.gif

:Dthumb.gifthumb:D

Are we going to meet again ? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    EyefulEyeful Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    Brugge is fine with me too.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Hello Justiceiro clap.gifclap
    How are you my friend ? mwink.gif
    I was going to send this link to you but you were here already.
    How's the Portuguese ?rolleyes1.gif

:Dthumb.gifthumb:D

Are we going to meet again ? ne_nau.gif

Ai Antonio,

Agora a minha cabeca e cheia com este maldito alemao!

Como vai a vida?
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    There's an awesome old abandoned steel mill in Saarbrucken we can go to as well. It is about an hour from Frankfurt- which is usually a cheap destination.

Antonio- I think you can get cheap tickets to Amsterdam from Lisbon, and it isn't that far by train to The Rhine valley or to Alsace.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    There's an awesome old abandoned steel mill in Saarbrucken we can go to as well. It is about an hour from Frankfurt- which is usually a cheap destination.

Antonio- I think you can get cheap tickets to Amsterdam from Lisbon, and it isn't that far by train to The Rhine valley or to Alsace.

Abandoned Steel Mill sounds cool! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:

Kind of wheather ??? Brrrrr ! Cold I suppose ! mwink.gif
    Spring may be the nicest and better season I think ... :D
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:

If Antonio is going through The Netherlands (or will be flying to an airport on the route from the south of the Netherlands to our location), I'll be able to pick him up somewhere, and he can travel with Eyeful and me.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    If Antonio is going through The Netherlands (or will be flying to an airport on the route from the south of the Netherlands to our location), I'll be able to pick him up somewhere, and he can travel with Eyeful and me.

clap.gifclapclap.gif Things are getting better clap.gifclapclap.gif
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifD:D:D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Things are getting better clap.gifclapclap.gif

I'll even bring some warm clothes if your spoiled Portugese body can't handle the Central European Climate. :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    I'll even bring some warm clothes if your spoiled Portugese body can't handle the Central European Climate. :D

clap.gifclapeven better clap.gifclap
    rolleyes1.gifrofl
    You know what ? I do accept ! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall, all you have to do is call.

Here is a link to the steel mill.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Resistance is futile.

VoelklingenGerhardKassner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Resistance is futile.

VoelklingenGerhardKassner.jpg

clap.gif Indeed ... bowdown.gif:D There are some pictures to be taken ...mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Guys, let's try to go on ...

The 1.st May 2009 is Friday. This means that it is a hollyday in Portugal.

This day is far ahead of us giving time to schedule our flights, hotels and so.

I myself need to book the flight in November for example. Why so early ? Because the price is lower if I book early.

This would give us time to plan the hotels and whatever.

For us - my wife is coming as well - we can land in Amsterdam Friday morning and fly back very early on Monday or late Sunday in time to work here.
    Where do we go ? Any ideas will not be difficult, as we are in the core of Europe ...

Do we travel by car ? Who's car ? Are we going to rent one ? Who is driving ? All of us in turns I assume...

Come on people, let's begin to work, you lazy people.

:Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    I'm laying up in bed at the moment so not looking at plans at all - but I think next year is a good idea - this year is just too full for me already and work is kinda nuts.

So if we're looking at May - which I think should still give us some nice crisp weather...
    Let's decide on location.

So let's make a list and then we vote ok?

I'm happy to suggest Colmar/Strassbourg/Alsace region but I'm VERY open to all suggestions

That far ahead I think I could plan for my wife and kids to come along for a long weekend too

Somewhere with castles lit up at night is good too ;)

Cheers, Jase
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    I'm laying up in bed at the moment so not looking at plans at all - but I think next year is a good idea - this year is just too full for me already and work is kinda nuts.

So if we're looking at May - which I think should still give us some nice crisp weather...
    Let's decide on location.

So let's make a list and then we vote ok?

I'm happy to suggest Colmar/Strassbourg/Alsace region but I'm VERY open to all suggestions

That far ahead I think I could plan for my wife and kids to come along for a long weekend too

Somewhere with castles lit up at night is good too ;)

Cheers, Jase

Jase,
    I hope you get better. You are under the weather, right ? mwink.gif I was taught this expression and I think it means you are ill. Right ?
    Let's wait for our friends from Holland.
    I wonder if Ivar couldn't make it ...ne_nau.gif He is also in Holland isn't he ?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    Jase,
    I hope you get better. You are under the weather, right ? mwink.gif I was taught this expression and I think it means you are ill. Right ?

You're exactly right "under the weather" means a little ill thumb.gif

Yep let's wait for the Dutch
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2008
    One Dutchie reporting in. Next year is fine, location does not matter much to me. The first of May is a bit of a nuisance since I could be away on holiday then (it's a school holiday over here). I'll know for sure next monday. I'll have a car (bringing Rob/Eyeful if he is in too), and will have two spare seats with the names of Antonio and his wife written on them. If you fly to A'dam, you need to catch a train (they leave at the airport) to the South of the Netherlands, and I'll catch you there. If you fly to an airport in the Maastricht neighborhood, or between Maastricht and our final location, I'll pick you up there.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    One Dutchie reporting in. Next year is fine, location does not matter much to me. The first of May is a bit of a nuisance since I could be away on holiday then (it's a school holiday over here). I'll know for sure next monday. I'll have a car (bringing Rob/Eyeful if he is in too), and will have two spare seats with the names of Antonio and his wife written on them. If you fly to A'dam, you need to catch a train (they leave at the airport) to the South of the Netherlands, and I'll catch you there. If you fly to an airport in the Maastricht neighborhood, or between Maastricht and our final location, I'll pick you up there.

Thank you Marlof bowdown.gifD
    I thought the 1.st May would be nice because would give us one more day or a calm and hole Saturday at least.
    I am not so sure I can fly to Maastricht as easily as I can fly to AMS... but I will manage somehow. No problem.
    We would be flying back, Sunday evening.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2008
    bump :D
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Antonio,

If flying to AMS is cheaper and/or easier, do so. Holland is easy and relatively inexpensive to get around by train.

I just made the AMS-Mannheim trip a month ago.

May is good for me as well, so count me in.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Let's wait for the others ...
    :Dthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2008
    As I said to fear before, I'm unavailable from April 27 to May 5, since it's a school holiday here. Many other dates (if known beforehand) should be ok.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2009
    Looking for Lieden, NL photo recommendations
    I will be headed to Leiden on either the evening of 13 March or morning of 14 March, to spend the weekend and Mon., in Leiden, prior to heading off to Germany on the 16th.

I would be most appreciative to receive recommendations of photographic opportunities in and around the Leiden area. Having been many times to Amsterdam, I would like to expand my scope and take in some of the smaller but maybe equally photogenic cities, towns, which make up the diverse landscape of the Netherlands.

I am thinking of taking a train from Leiden to Rotterdam or the Hague, each for a day trip but, would be equally flexible to find other out-of-the-way locations to attempt to capture in digital pixels.

Thank you in advance to all who may be kind enough to reply to my request for recommendations.