Want to update my website, no idea where to start

PierreBPierreB Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins

I have been with SM for years now. Before their latest update (a while ago), I had my site customized by someone external. But with the new update, things are more intuitive for the user and many companies that used to offer SM custom no longer do.

My website is at pierrebphoto.com

I used to have more of an importance on my blog, tips and stuff like that, but I don't have much time anymore to keep that going (I guess that's good, too much business :) )

So I want to go back to using mainly SM for my website. Currently, from what I understand, my home page is custom on WordPress, as is the Contact page. The Portfolio, Info and Galleries are on SM. I can see this as the URL for things on SM begin with photos.xxx while the ones on WP don't.

I'm thinking that:

• I need to update my SM account to have my Custom Domain read pierrebphoto.com instead of photos.pierrebphoto.com. This way, I can setup my own home page (using some SM templates).
  • I'll have to create links and pages (I know, I so technical, right? ), so replace those hosted on WP....namely the Contact page.

Anyone know what else I need to look for or think about? While I can wrap my brain around most things technical, I seem to have a somewhat hard time with anything having to do with the web.

Thanks for any input!!!!!

"If your picture isn't good enough, you're not close enough."
- Robert Capa

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@PierreB said:
    So I want to go back to using mainly SM for my website. Currently, from what I understand, my home page is custom on WordPress, as is the Contact page. The Portfolio, Info and Galleries are on SM. I can see this as the URL for things on SM begin with photos.xxx while the ones on WP don't.

I'm thinking that:

• I need to update my SM account to have my Custom Domain read pierrebphoto.com instead of photos.pierrebphoto.com. This way, I can setup my own home page (using some SM templates).
    • I'll have to create links and pages (I know, I so technical, right? ), so replace those hosted on WP....namely the Contact page.

Anyone know what else I need to look for or think about? While I can wrap my brain around most things technical, I seem to have a somewhat hard time with anything having to do with the web.

In addition to updating your SmugMug account to change your custom domain you will need to update the domain location at your domain hosting site, both to remove the URL from your WordPress site and to associate it with your SmugMug site. Help page for setting up custom domain on smug is at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93340-setting-up-a-custom-hostname-domain.

The contact page is easy to switch. You can either use SmugMug's contact form or you can use a WuFoo form. To use Smug's contact form, see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1248294. If you want to use a WuFoo form, see http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1259577-how-do-i-add-a-wufoo-form-to-my-site-.

• PierreBPierreB Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2017

Thanks for the info! Time to get a reading :)

It states that if I am with GoDaddy (which I am) I can use a GoDaddy Connect, which seems it will simplify things.

"If your picture isn't good enough, you're not close enough."
    - Robert Capa