Visualizing Shadow/highlight changes

mdijbmdijb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 17, 2006 in Finishing School
When using the Shadow/highlight command, i wish to see what I am doing. There are two channel in the lab mode where it is recommended to make these changes--the LAB orChannel or the Lightness channel. Making these changes in the Lightness channel does not allow one to see how the image is changing, but using The "L" channel OR "LAB" channel does. I tried doing it in both and cannot see any diffences in the result. Which is the correct on to use?

The same question applies to using the HIROLAM sharpening method.

MDIJB

Comments

• edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    mdijb wrote:
    When using the Shadow/highlight command, i wish to see what I am doing. There are two channel in the lab mode where it is recommended to make these changes--the LAB orChannel or the Lightness channel. Making these changes in the Lightness channel does not allow one to see how the image is changing, but using The "L" channel OR "LAB" channel does. I tried doing it in both and cannot see any diffences in the result. Which is the correct on to use?

The same question applies to using the HIROLAM sharpening method.

MDIJB

In LAB, the L channel IS the lightness channel. The LAB channel is all three, Lightness, a and b.

It's never good to use contrast and/or sharpening moves on the entire image in LAB mode, since a and be use tonal values to determine color. Running a sharpening routine or some such will just botch the color. Use L only.

As for Shadows/Highlights and HIRALOAM, both show you results in realtime. In your channels palette, first select the Lightness channel. Your image will go to grayscale to reflect the information in that channel. Then click on the Eye icon in the LAB channel. This will display the entire image, but you will still be working only on the Lightness channel, and whatever settings you try will be reflected onscreen.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • mdijbmdijb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2006
    DUHHH!!!

What a simple and obvious maneuver--Hoe did I miss that??

Thanks

MDIJB